Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sad that this starts at 5 yrs old......

@willomenia wrote:
really people! kids make fun of mickey mouse sweatshirt, and now they are being bullied. this world really needs to grow a backbone.

This may seem silly to an adult but to a child it can be a big deal.  No one wants to be teased, at any age.  It may not have been meant to be hurtful but the receiver didn't like it.

Yes, even at this age one can see the personalities of the children.

Respected Contributor

kids are notoriously cruel.  they have no developed governor controlling speech.  if parents are of the same mold -  and kids pick it up as a model -  we have a societal problem.  frankly i think we have a societal problem.  civil discourse and respect for diverse opinions are not very prevalent.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember at approximately the same age my Mother MAKING me wear something stupid (to me) and no matter how much I told her to stop making me wear it (yea kids can be downright "frank", even cruel at that age) She insisted it was the other kids' fault for teasing me. Well I finally "fixed" the problem myself....that Dumbo the Elephant shirt suddenly had a million scissor gashes and Ooops in the trash it went. Sometimes is also good to listen to the kid who also doesnt want to wear something and like me I told Mom it was the other kids who were teasing me. Didnt phase her as she refused to listen to my sense of self (yes at age 5-6) and that I didnt want to dress up in "disney" related clothing. LOL

Regular Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I was picking up my 4 yr old granddaughter from Preschool Friday and I am still bothered by what I saw.

A little boy from the Kindergarden class came out of his room and told his Mom " I don't want to wear my Mickey (Mickey Mouse) sweater to school anymore because the kids made fun of me". He had such a sad look on his face Smiley Sad

Is this normal? Does bullying start this early?

Dear @Nataliesgramma...

The answer is "NO"...this is NOT NORMAL...but unfortunately, YES,  bullying starts early...even in "Pre-School"..

My beautiful, loving, and gentle son, (now age 27) was bullied from the time he was 4 years old (preschool)...and it didn't end until the day he graduated High School at age 18.  He was even physically "beaten" by a bully at the age of 11, and he lost 4 weeks from school as a result. (The "bully" was not removed from the school system, even after this)!!!! We tried every "avenue" to get this resolved...from the time he was 5. We worked  digilently with counselors, teachers, administration, and even joint counseling with the "bullies" to get this resolved in a peaceful, non violent maner.  At one point, we were considering suing the public school system in our town, which we decided against, as my son didn't want to leave the public school and attend private school.(which we felt might be the answer). He wanted to attend public school and stay with the freinds he had made, and feared if we took further action, he would be tormented more. Therefore, we didn't take legal action as it would involve having to remove him from public school, and we didn't want to force him in this direction,  and cause him further trauma.

Those years of bullying has left my son with deep seeded emotional scars that he still struggles with until this day. It has led to bouts of depression, low self esteem, and even a short but frightening bout with alcohol abuse in his college years (which thankfully he overcame).....  

It truly breaks my heart when I know that this was "preventable" and the negative impact it had on my son's life, and the lives of those who loved him.  My husband and I suffered along with him...feeling like we "failed" him as parents, as we were powerless to stop the abuse in a diplomatic way and within "the guidelines of the system". My poor husband still stuggles with feelings of guilt to this day, because he feels that as a"Father" he should have been able to "fix it in some way. We both supported non-violent ways to stop this ( under the adivse of professionals)..., which sadly didn't work.  

IMO, afer "livng through this" , we felt the biggest "obstacle" was that teachers, staff, etc. weren't willing to "put their jobs on the line" and "take a stand" but would "cower down".  We experienced this time and time again. They were MORE fearful of the families of the "bulliies" taking legal action against the board of education, the town, etc....So, therefore, it seems they were "protecting the rights of those bullies" as opposed to those like my son, who were the  "victims".  

When he was in High School, there was a disabled boy who was sexually assaulted in a school bathroom by 2 boys.  The disabled boy was removed by his parents, and the 2 offenders were not held responsible!!!  It was "common knowledge" in our town that this had taken place.  But, these 2 offenders ( STAR FOOTBALL PLAYERS) both  came from "prominant" families in town. Therefore, nobody wanted to "rock the boat" ...just let it go....It made me sick! 

I know this is still happening today to so many others.  I see it on the local and national news frequently.  Children, teens, young adults taking their own lives, and also turning to addictive behaviors by "self medicating" to "kill the pain". It's sad, sad, sad.....  

I'm not sure if the laws have changed over the past years to protect children against this, but I highly doubt it, as we are still seeing the negative effects that bullying is having on our society. 

I'm so sorry this his happening to your grandson, and I hope that someone within the school system will do "right" by him, and stop this NOW.  Please urge his parents to take action  IMMEDIATELY...the longer it persists, the more damage it can do.

I apologize for the long post...but I felt this was important and needed to be said.

Wishing you all the best...

Love, BohemianGalHeart

Regular Contributor

@willomenia wrote:
really people! kids make fun of mickey mouse sweatshirt, and now they are being bullied. this world really needs to grow a backbone.

@willomenia...

With all due respect, you don't understand that this type of thing turns into more severe "bullying" down the line.  These type of children start young with "teasing" and it progeress to other more serious bullying.

Please read my post in reply to the originator of this thread...It's long, but will explain WHY this isn't to be taken lightly.

Any parent of a child who has sufferd under the hands of "bullies" will see the picture here....

Respectfully, BohemianGal

Trusted Contributor

Just watch the "childrens" network programs carefully and listen.     At all age levels shows have programs where cartoon characters and actors say and do unkind things.   It does look funny and there is laughter on TV and from your child.  I have been having play dates with one of my grandchildren for 5 years.  Sometimes we watch shows for the proper age level and I was surprised.  I had to explain to him doing tricks on someone so people laugh at them is unkind and wrong.  Don't tease someone because of their clothes, the way they talk, etc.   I remind him of how he felt when he got picked on.  He is now 8 but 2 years ago he got suspended for 3 days because he pushed someone in line.  The teacher asked him why but did not believe him.  While playing a hiding game the older boy found him hiding behind a tree and punched him hard in the stomach before running off.   The teacher and principal chose to believe the older boy who had a bullying reputation over my grandson who had a clean record.  We had a had time getting him to return to school.  The bully continued to torment others as well.  Problem was he was well practiced in hiding his actions and not getting caught.  He picked on the younger boys who like my grandson did not dare to tell on him because hesaid he would hit them harder next time.  This is a small school and only has 4 grades in it.  The bully had moved on to the big school the next year.  Now we are discussing bullying I wonder how long it took him to run into someone who was stronger and fought back.  I hope he has stopped the bullying.    

Valued Contributor

How brave of Bohemiangal to share her post.  Thank you.

Bullying is rampant. It's also "age appropriate" in that what is done in preschool is different from what is done later in upper grades.  Scars are lifelong, and the schools pretend it doesn't happen. So not only are the victims bullied by their abusers but also their experiences are not validated by those in authority.

Respected Contributor

Oh Bohemian Gal   Reading your story makes me so sad. Your son is special and so are his parents. Life can be so cruel. I have sons and I never experienced this. If I had would I have been as strong as you?  I think I would have because what is more important than our children. Sadly I don't think it will stop.

Regular Contributor

@KLm wrote:

How brave of Bohemiangal to share her post.  Thank you.

Bullying is rampant. It's also "age appropriate" in that what is done in preschool is different from what is done later in upper grades.  Scars are lifelong, and the schools pretend it doesn't happen. So not only are the victims bullied by their abusers but also their experiences are not validated by those in authority.

Dear @KLm.....

Thank YOU, Kim,  for reading mu VERY LONG POST and for your compliment. It was much appreciated.  Like another poster wrote, it starts with teasing and ridiculing others with "unkindness"..and then progresses from there. And, YOU are so right when you said that the victims are not validated by those in authority which makes it even more traumatizing. 

Love, BohemianGal...

Regular Contributor

@turtlelgk wrote:

Oh Bohemian Gal   Reading your story makes me so sad. Your son is special and so are his parents. Life can be so cruel. I have sons and I never experienced this. If I had would I have been as strong as you?  I think I would have because what is more important than our children. Sadly I don't think it will stop.

Thank you @Catiele for your kind words.  We tried our best under the cirucumstances. As you said, there is nothing more important to us then our children.  And, when they suffer, we suffer MORE.  Like you, I don't think this will ever stop....been going on for "ages"....

Love, BohemianGal