Esteemed Contributor

Sad that this starts at 5 yrs old......

I was picking up my 4 yr old granddaughter from Preschool Friday and I am still bothered by what I saw.

A little boy from the Kindergarden class came out of his room and told his Mom " I don't want to wear my Mickey (Mickey Mouse) sweater to school anymore because the kids made fun of me". He had such a sad look on his face Smiley Sad

Is this normal? Does bullying start this early?

Honored Contributor

Re: Sad that this starts at 5 yrs old......

[ Edited ]

No, I don't think this is typical at this age.  To really understand what occurred, you would need a lot more information both about the child who seemed unhappy and exactly what was said to him.  Bullying is serious business, and although I understand you are concerned about a child who seemed sad, someone not liking what you wear would most likely not constitute bullying in a school enviornment.  I hope that the mother inquired and investigated what happened and also considered if her child's response was rational or overly reactive.  I would hope that the parent would be able to have an objective view of the situation.

Trusted Contributor

How very sad for both your grandchild and the kids bullying.  

What you need to remember and she needs reinforced is that she knows better,  has been taught better and bullying comes from ignorance which is really lack of love and attention. 

I hope she wears her disney shirt until it wears out and wears it in good health with a huge smile every day.  Never ever let her back down or allow them to intimidate her.  She is beautiful and worthwhile and entitled to and allowed to wear, looklike and do whatever she wants to do. Period. 

Honored Contributor

Is it normal?  No way is any bullying normal at any age.  It's always ugly, it's always about power, amd it's always a sign the bullier doesn't know how to compete in his/her world in any other way that gives satisfaction.

I know a young man who was beaten as a first grader by 2 from second grade ---in the school bathroom in one of those schools that loved to brag "nothing bad ever happens here."

I don't care now frequently bad happens, it's not a sign of normal.

Trusted Contributor

really people! kids make fun of mickey mouse sweatshirt, and now they are being bullied. this world really needs to grow a backbone.
Honored Contributor

That is sad.  I'm surprised kids that age even know who Mickey Mouse is.  Disney cartoons aren't on TV much any more.  Maybe they see them on video.

Contributor

So sad! Bullying has no age restrictions or gender restrictions; just a few people or children who want to make themselves superior to others. Bullying at that age is taught and learned from adults. Reminds me of the songfrom South Pacific, which still rings true today, "You Must Becarefully Taught!"

Esteemed Contributor

@willomenia wrote:
really people! kids make fun of mickey mouse sweatshirt, and now they are being bullied. this world really needs to grow a backbone.

No, kids needs better parents!!!!!

Frequent Contributor

I've worked in the school system 27 years and yes, sad to say , this is happening at all ages.  Think back to our own childhood,( 60's -70's for me)  it happened as well but not to this extent. Children will mimic what they have seen and they are seeing it at home.  Older siblings possibly but most likely parents. These are the children whose parents come to school to rant and rave at the principal, teachers and even cafeteria workers. These parents, in front of their children-who now feel this is what is acceptable -scream expletives at school authority.  This is a mid-income school, not poverty. I have seen a huge shift in the generations and it is scary.

Esteemed Contributor

@keba58 wrote:

I've worked in the school system 27 years and yes, sad to say , this is happening at all ages.  Think back to our own childhood,( 60's -70's for me)  it happened as well but not to this extent. Children will mimic what they have seen and they are seeing it at home.  Older siblings possibly but most likely parents. These are the children whose parents come to school to rant and rave at the principal, teachers and even cafeteria workers. These parents, in front of their children-who now feel this is what is acceptable -scream expletives at school authority.  This is a mid-income school, not poverty. I have seen a huge shift in the generations and it is scary.

@keba58 Oh my!  How right you are.  I wanted to say the same thing and I don't work in the school system.  I'm very street smart and I do see a lot.  Parents today just don't discipline their children like they did years ago when my parents had kids.  Things were much different back then.  You'll probably laugh at this, but I blame a lot of this on electronics.  Kids today are spoiled.  They have cell phones before they're teens, their parents rush out to buy the kid expensive cars when they get their license.  These kids today don't work for anything.  Everything is handled to them on a silver platter.  I'll probalby get bashed for this and won't go on any further.  This is my opinion and I'm entitled to it.  

What you said here is so darn true.  Have a fabulous Sunday.