Trusted Contributor

Re: Sad about fertility ending

No. Very thankful for our two children, now grown. 

I was sick as a dog when I was pregnant.When in car, had to pull over to side of road to throw up,  Still can't eat or look at chicken breasts. No scented dryer sheets either.  (Guess this is TMI.)  Friends, this is AFTER 37 years. 

Happy to be oldish and healthy!

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21. I am so sorry that you are having such a difficult time with menopause.  I was very lucky.  I never had hot flashes or any other problem.

My menses just stopped  one day and that was it.  My mother and sister were the same way.  

I wonder why this affects women differently.  It doesn't seem fair.

Esteemed Contributor

@Beautiful life Oh yes, I was just a young bride when my husband and I decided to have children, it took us over a year to get pregnant, and we never thought twice about fertility issues, but we wanted to have another child right away but month after month it just did not happen, so my doctor suggested "further testing" I went through test after test after test, and when I was in my early twenties I was told that the liklihood of me being able to conceive another child was going to be very unlikely, we were devastated. I was just in my early 20's who even thinks of fertility issues at that age.  

They asked us if we wanted to take other measures to bring another child into our lives, and with a lot of soul searching, alot of tears, we decided to accept our fate. and just dedicate our lives to our daughter making her our world.

We just thank the heavens above for the opportunity to have a healthy beautiful daughter, and feel so blessed as I know there are couples out there that never experience the joy of a child.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for your caring post Carmie. So true, some lucky, some not... my mother still has night flashes  and she is 80!  I don't stand a chance.  At least there is medication, and good medical care, so grateful for that-  Intersting post. Be well. 🙏

Honored Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Nope. Never had kids, never wanted them either. Glad to have all that mess, pain, done and over with. 

Me too!

my words exactly! Yea menopause! Bring it on!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@castlenv wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Nope. Never had kids, never wanted them either. Glad to have all that mess, pain, done and over with. 

Me too!

my words exactly! Yea menopause! Bring it on!

Me, too.    I had nothing but 30 years of real problems

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Beautiful life wrote:

I am 50 years old. I am blessed with two children 19 and 8 

I wanted another baby, hoping that I would get pregnant for the last 4 years. When I turned 50 it became reality that there will be no more. I had a very hard time getting pregnant with my 8 year old but did naturally after 3 years of ttc. 

has as anyone felt sad over there fertility ending? I still have my period and am ovulating on a pretty regular cycle but I'm sure my eggs are just old.

I think it also has to do with seeing my babies grow up that I am sad. 

I can relate.

It's one thing to be able to and choose not to; than to have the door slammed shut with no options.

I have one of each, a girl and a boy, and realistically, I do not want any more children; but it's a different phase of life where a person can feel redundant.

Honored Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

I certainly feel wistful about it but as my kids get older I'm enjoying having more freedom.  Now, if someone left a baby on my doorstep I'd be thrilled but I'm okay with being done and becoming a grandmother at some point. 

this is me @GenXmuse.

i was so happy to go through menopause and be done with all of the monthly stuff.

i am having a wonderful time starting a different chapter with my children. it is fun and scary to watch them become young adults. a totally different feeling then when they were babies, toddlers, and teens.

i am very happy and maybe one day in the future they will give me some new young ones to love and care for! if not, i am fine with that also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I am the mom of four, my last one born when I was 28. Right after her birth my tubes where tied and I felt sad for awhile that I was now indeed sterile. It took me several months to get over that feeling and then I was good to go.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Contributor

When my husband and I discussed children we both felt that four more (my son from a previous relationship was already 2) would be a great number. We only had one child together and he's 14 now. I do have sadness and regret over it because while we never tried not to conceive, we also never sought any help about why we weren't conceiving. I suppose, at 42, that is possible I could have another, but I deal with so much in regards to my health and my younger son's disabilities that I won't even try now. My eldest doesn't want kids and my youngest is unlikely to live on his own, so grandkids are probably not happening.