Trusted Contributor

Re: Sad about fertility ending

This is what my son said to me last year and it first it broke my heart then I got it as he explained this to me

Mom you are the greatest mom but the worst parent MY dad is the greatest parent but the worst dad...........then I got it..........I was no stable with making him mind.........and i was his friend instead of being a parent but he did have to face the head injury when he was 12 so he lost that time with me........and it was hard on him and me........but we are growing past this as he had to move away and learn to grow up and I had to cut the cord.........

Honored Contributor

Two was the magic number for my husband and I, and neither of us wanted more children.  My daughters are now in their late 30's, unmarried, and have absolutely no interest in being a mom.   Both girls told me they didn't want babies when they were 17, and neither has ever waivered from their teenage statements.   I'm quite okay with that, as being a grandmother was never on my bucket list.   

I love that my daughters are adults.  I have never looked at baby pictures and wished they were little again.   I have never regretted stopping after 2, and never regretted a permanent fix to insure there would be no surprises.    I welcomed the onset of peri-menopause in my 40's, and now at 61, am glad my reproductive years are well behind me.   In no way was I sad that my fertility ended.   

I'm quite content with this stage of my life, and feel very blessed.   

Respected Contributor

No. We did not want children. And I always had painful periods, often with severe nausea. I was so happy when in my early 40s I went through early menopause. Such a relief. 

Valued Contributor

For me, I wan't sad about my reproduction life ending...it was more of realizing the passage of time from an aging perspective

Honored Contributor

I danced for joy when I finished menopause.  No more periods.  No more cramps.  No more PMS.  Freedom!

Super Contributor

I did not get pregmant so we adopted our son andthen I got pregant for the first time at 41 and wish I could have had more - sad that I am 53 and no more periods - wish I would have tried much sooner and had about 5 kids - but I never wanted children when I was younger - having children took my focus off of myself - it really changes you for the better - nothing has more meaning in life than having children - just my opinion

Esteemed Contributor

I had my children when I was very young. Then I went back to school, got my graduate degree, and had a wonderful career. By the time I hit menopause in my 50s, my children were in their early 30s and I was a grandmother. I was in a great place in my career and had no thoughts about having more children. That was my kids' jobs at that point.

Respected Contributor

I had three children. One miscarriage---twins. Into my fourtys I had pain and  bad periods. Had a hysterectomy and was very grateful and never had to deal with periods again. My doctor took everything. It turned out to be the best way to have it done.

Respected Contributor

I am blessed with two perfect children, a boy and a girl. When my son was born my tubes were tied as I had a hard pregnancy and was finished having children. Even so, when I had my hysterectomy at 44 I went through a period of grieving that it would never, ever be possible for me to have a baby again. The feeling passed, but once in a while it returns, very briefly! I think it's natural for women who love being a mother to feel a sense of loss when that phase of life is over. Not all women experience it, but those who do usually move on quickly. 

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Contributor

That's a huge nope!  I am 45 and my son is 20 and I am so happy with my freedom and no way in heck would I want another baby ever!