Regular Contributor

Re: Ringling Bros or Shrine Circus for 4 boys-6 & younger++

To the OP who stated the animals get to wear cute outfits, hear applause from the crowd, and it may be a great life, you are sadly mistaken and extremely naive. These animals are tortured on a regular basis by being beaten into submission. Food is also withheld. Baby elephants are taken away from their families and anyone who knows why that does to an elephant family knows how torturous that can be alone. and before you ask me how I know, I have researched this to the hilt. If you really think Ringling Brother is going to come right out and tell you how they train their animals you are sorely mistaken. Still want to buy a ticket? TKe your kid to Cirque du Solei, no animals used and an amazing show. I wouldn't be caught dead at a circus!
Super Contributor

On 2/19/2015 Clover29 said:
On 2/19/2015 madcity411 said:

Animals have been used for "entertainment" for years In a circus, rodeo, parades, zoos whatever.... {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

And that makes it OK?

deer-eating-popcorn

Honored Contributor

Shriners. I've been to both and for the age you're talking, the Shriners will be a much better fit. It doesn't hurt that the majority of the profits go to helping children in need.

Respected Contributor

On 2/19/2015 kidznpupz said:

Knowing what I know now I would NEVER take my children to a circus - or go myself for that matter. You are paying to support animal cruelty.

They should be outlawed IMHO

I feel this way as well.Smiley Sad

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Super Contributor

The OP needs to google ""CIRCUS ANIMAL ABUSE""

Respected Contributor

I agree with the poster who mentioned Cirque du Soleil. Also, if you want your kids to see animals, try finding an animal sanctuary near you. I used to live near one that rescued animals that were abused and unwanted.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

I wanted to add this hopeful note to the discussion (my thanks to Ford1224 who brought it to our attention in the Viewpoints forum):

(3/5/15)

Ringling Bros. Circus To Phase Out Elephant Acts

Read the article at:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/05/ringling-bros-elephants_n_6807340.html

This is such good news!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

As I recall, as a young child, I didn't like going to the Circus. My mom finally figured it out, after a few years or more. I just didn't like the idea of those huge tigers/lions/elephants being in such a small, circular space. Guess I had adult thoughts at a very young age.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

On 1/27/2015 faeriemoon said: I think circuses should be outlawed.

ITA!

Respected Contributor

It is sickening that anyone would think this is OK.Smiley Sad