Honored Contributor

Re: Ringling Bros or Shrine Circus for 4 boys-6 & younger++

I'm with the "no animal circus" crowd. I didn't even know that there were now some circus's without animals, and glad to hear it.

Respected Contributor

I think we will try the Shrine Circus this year. It's small & at a smaller venue, so it may be easier to watch. The Ringling Bros had so much going on it was hard to take it all in. It was a lot of color & music & dancing girls twirling around on the ceiling all evening long, so there was always something to watch. I did do research on possible abuse & cruelty of the animals, but it doesn't really seem to be substantiated or current information. In this day & age with cameras every where you can't get away with much.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/26/2015 chickenbutt said:
On 1/26/2015 Foxgirl said: Please choose whichever does not use animals for entertainment. Animals were not put on Earth to endure cruel training and torture for the amusement of humans.

This is my sentiment exactly! Circuses, rodeos, and animal racing are all horrifically cruel to animals. There are circuses that don't use animals that are beautiful and amazing.

I'd love to see kids being taught that it's NOT ok to abuse animals. Smiley Happy

I so agree with both of you. Animal cruelty and exploitation are not ok and we need to be sharing THAT message with children, not teaching them that animals are here for our entertainment. The same goes for exploitation of whales and dolphins.

Honored Contributor

I'm with the others - please don't support a circus that uses animals. It's torture.

Super Contributor

I'm totally against circuses that use animals as well. All those who have posted with this sentiment echo my feelings exactly and I couldn't improve on them.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Dusty1 said:

I think we will try the Shrine Circus this year. It's small & at a smaller venue, so it may be easier to watch. The Ringling Bros had so much going on it was hard to take it all in. It was a lot of color & music & dancing girls twirling around on the ceiling all evening long, so there was always something to watch. I did do research on possible abuse & cruelty of the animals, but it doesn't really seem to be substantiated or current information. In this day & age with cameras every where you can't get away with much.

No you just get away with caging animals for entertainment. Exotic animals are being hunted to extinction is their native habitats and caged in captivity for entertainment. There are better and humane ways to teach children about animals.

Esteemed Contributor

Here is another alternative to circuses. The Farm Sanctuary, which rescues abused and neglected farm animals. They maintain sanctuaries in Orland, CA, and Watkins Glen, NY. I have been to the Orland facility several times for their Thanksgiving events. You can get up close and personal with a lot of the animals. Who knew turkeys liked to have their bottoms scratched???! They have acres of land to live out their remaining days and aren't exploited for their entertainment value.

There's more than one way to enjoy and appreciate animals.

Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Caligurll said:

Here is another alternative to circuses. The Farm Sanctuary, which rescues abused and neglected farm animals. They maintain sanctuaries in Orland, CA, and Watkins Glen, NY. I have been to the Orland facility several times for their Thanksgiving events. You can get up close and personal with a lot of the animals. Who knew turkeys liked to have their bottoms scratched???! They have acres of land to live out their remaining days and aren't exploited for their entertainment value.

There's more than one way to enjoy and appreciate animals.

This is a great idea!!! If the OP doesn't live in these areas a similar rescue facility would be a great alternative too.

Honored Contributor

I get the impression that it's one of those 'fingers in the ears singing lalalalalalalalalala I can't HEAR you' deals.

Circuses (as well as rodeos and racing) are extremely cruel to animals and any amount of them trying to tell you they aren't is just cover-up for what many of us already know. But then I would submit that we are all animals lovers so it pains us tremendously to see animals treated that way and know how they are treated behind the curtain too.

Some folks don't see animals as we do and can justify it I guess.

My cleaning lady keeps telling me how she keeps getting another cat and having their nails ripped out. I keep telling her that it is cruel and maybe she's not one to have animals, or at least cats, if she feels the NEED to do that. She kept telling me how it's not cruel, it doesn't hurt them at all, and blah blah freaking blah.

I finally said, you want to see how cruel it is? I'll show you. Then she went into the 'don't tell me - I don't want to know' mode. See? She knew and just wanted to pretend it wasn't so.

Frequent Contributor

On 1/28/2015 chickenbutt said:

I get the impression that it's one of those 'fingers in the ears singing lalalalalalalalalala I can't HEAR you' deals.

Circuses (as well as rodeos and racing) are extremely cruel to animals and any amount of them trying to tell you they aren't is just cover-up for what many of us already know. But then I would submit that we are all animals lovers so it pains us tremendously to see animals treated that way and know how they are treated behind the curtain too.

Some folks don't see animals as we do and can justify it I guess.

My cleaning lady keeps telling me how she keeps getting another cat and having their nails ripped out. I keep telling her that it is cruel and maybe she's not one to have animals, or at least cats, if she feels the NEED to do that. She kept telling me how it's not cruel, it doesn't hurt them at all, and blah blah freaking blah.

I finally said, you want to see how cruel it is? I'll show you. Then she went into the 'don't tell me - I don't want to know' mode. See? She knew and just wanted to pretend it wasn't so.

Think about getting a new cleaning lady. Why help support that?