Super Contributor

Re: Ringling Bros or Shrine Circus for 4 boys-6 & younger++

Ringling_

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ringling-Brothers-Circus-Animal-Torture/156520727704948

http://www.ringlingbeatsanimals.com/

Shriners_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aIcXTHbwo8

http://209.61.249.27/5outrage04.html

If you go to these torture shows, you are guilty of supporting torture. Watch these videos before you go so you can see how much fun the animals have!!!! Just to entertain us! How fun!!

There are thousands of videos online of specific cases of abuse - make sure to watch before you decide if this is a place you want your grandchildren to go.

Zoos- large, community owned zoos- have animals on display in settings that attempt to re-create their homes in the wild. The animals in zoos are not trained or forced to perform tricks for the entertainment of visitors. Small family owned , roadside "zoos" are notorious for cruelty and neglect.

Super Contributor

I have a feeling the OP will not be coming back to this thread.

Respected Contributor

On 1/29/2015 Issiestorm said:

I have a feeling the OP will not be coming back to this thread.

Is that supposed to be a challenge? Or "I guess we showed her"? No I wasn't going to come back to this thread. To what point? I am against cruelty to animals. And to people. Do I think that there has been, may still be, or will every be people that treat animals badly? Absolutely. Would I buy tickets to the circus & take my children & grandchildren if I thought that there was cruelty to animals involved? Absolutely not. I don't believe in Dr Oz & his "miracles" that he discovers for weight loss or great health. Paul McCartney is not dead. I don't believe that ALL things posted on the internet, including videos, are the truth. No matter how many times the same information & videos are regurgitated, it doesn't make them true, or change the fact that some groups may be using past facts, or possibly even manufactured facts, to push their own agenda. I am not directing that at anyone here who, I do believe, are only trying to be good people. I truly meant no harm in asking if anyone had been to see the Shrine or Ringling Bros Circus.

Super Contributor

No, it is NOT supposed to be a challenge or "I guess we showed her" and I resent that implication. It was an honest observation. You said yourself you weren't going to come back didn't you? Someone else upthread said something along the same lines. Facts are facts, and you're going to believe what you want, but if you come on these forums and pose a question like you did, be prepared for answers you may not want to hear. I'm sure you're sincere when you said that you meant no harm by asking this question, but it does not alter the facts.

New Contributor

To the OP. you don't believe the torture videos. that's ok you don't have to, but just use your commone sense and think about this. These animals spend their entire lives in cages traveling across the country, you can't deny that. Do you not think this is torture? Also they are trained to perform, think about that, you really don't think that elephants doing tricks have to be whipped to be trained .... Seriously just think about it a while , common sense is all you need to know the truth!
Respected Contributor

You also have to think about the other side of the issue. How much does it cost to buy an elephant or a tiger? How much does it cost to feed, maintain & train an animal? Is the only way to train something is to beat it? You have to keep those animals healthy. You can't have them sick or you have no show which is how they are making money & paying for all of the things that it takes to keep all of that show going & all of those people that work on that show getting a paycheck. Also living in the wild is not necessarily a lovely life. You have predators after those animals. If they get sick or hurt there is no vet there to help them. You can't really think of these animals as plodding around that ring wishing that they were out on the Serengeti. They are being fed regularly & taken care of. They get to wear cute outfits & hear people cheering & applauding them. It may be a great life! It may not always be great, but life is not always great anywhere. That is all I am thinking.

Super Contributor

I once knew a couple who bred a goat to resemble a unicorn, with one horn. It was a lovely little creature and was named Sir Lancelot. They eventually sold him to Ringling Bros., something that still shocks and devastates me to this day (this was back in the 70's). When Ringling was done with him, they broke his horn so he could not be used as entertainment by anyone else again. He lived out his days with the couple who bred him and had to be hand fed for the rest of his life. This is an example of the mindset, ruthlessness, outright cruelty and hideous disregard for animals that is common in circuses and those who run them. But you believe what you want since you've already obviously made up your mind. But please don't come up with the old adage of 'people on that show getting a paycheck' as if that makes everything okay. There are other ways of earning a paycheck than to work for something as horrid and evil as a circus.

Honored Contributor

I don't think OP will be convinced, as she seems determined to attend the circus. But I sincerely thank her for initiating an important discussion.

Super Contributor

On 1/30/2015 Dusty1 said:

You also have to think about the other side of the issue. How much does it cost to buy an elephant or a tiger? How much does it cost to feed, maintain & train an animal? Is the only way to train something is to beat it? You have to keep those animals healthy. You can't have them sick or you have no show which is how they are making money & paying for all of the things that it takes to keep all of that show going & all of those people that work on that show getting a paycheck. Also living in the wild is not necessarily a lovely life. You have predators after those animals. If they get sick or hurt there is no vet there to help them. You can't really think of these animals as plodding around that ring wishing that they were out on the Serengeti. They are being fed regularly & taken care of. They get to wear cute outfits & hear people cheering & applauding them. It may be a great life! It may not always be great, but life is not always great anywhere. That is all I am thinking.

Yeah, that's really important to animals. They love wearing cute outfits and having people scream at them.

{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

(And no, circuses do not keep their animals healthy. They keep them alive and little more.)

Super Contributor

Anyone who could watch these videos, and then choose to go and watch animals who are tortured to perform- I have no words.