Honored Contributor

Re: Question About A Wedding Gift

@missy1 wrote:

I have always been invited to the ceremony and the reception. op sounds like a gift grab,,

@missy1 - I really don't think this was. They had a small wedding. I saw only family and a few close friends going to the reception. Later I found out a friend did the flowers. But they did seem to have a wedding planner there directing everything. It might have been a family member - not sure. 

Respected Contributor

This is common in our church and is often printed in the bulletin. It's a way to invite anyone in the congregation who, like you, knows the couple and would share their joy at the blessed event. Presents are not usually given unless you want to give the couple a token to remember their big day. People invited this way should not feel slighted in any way. Receptions are pricey and couples often have large families. Many congregants attended our daughter's wedding. A few gave her small gifts to remember them by.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Esteemed Contributor

I personally wouldn't go, I don't understand "the mom issued an invitation", was it verbal, if so, what if you didn't attend church that day or went at a different time. I would just with them well and not give it a 2nd thought. 

I've been sent a "save the date" and never got the invitation.