Valued Contributor

A week ago, my 14 year old freshman granddaughter decided ( with 3 other friends) that they might go to their high school’s homecoming dance..None of them are dating yet (thank God), they just decided to have some fun! 

So, as it ended up, nine,  (9) girls ended up going together! 

They had a great time, haven’t heard all the details just yet, but we are so proud of them, getting all dressed up & making lots of memories together..(without needing dates)..I need to add that 3 of the girls did not know each other very well, heard the girls talking about it at lunch, & were invited to join them! 

I am just so happy & proud that they did this, instead of sitting home alone & thinking about it and hope it is the start of lots of high school fun! 

Respected Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

A week ago, my 14 year old freshman granddaughter decided ( with 3 other friends) that they might go to their high school’s homecoming dance..None of them are dating yet (thank God), they just decided to have some fun! 

They had a great time, haven’t heard all the details just yet, but we are so proud of them, getting all dressed up & making lots of memories together..(without needing dates)..I need to add that 3 of the girls did not know each other very well, heard the girls talking about it at lunch, & were invited to join them! 

I am just so happy & proud that they did this, instead of sitting home alone & thinking about it and hope it is the start of lots of high school fun! 

Thank goodness that things have changed from many years ago.  Attending school dances and proms w/o out a date and with other friends is very common now.  All students are encouraged to attend by teachers & school officials. Good for your grandaughter and her friends!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

That is great.  She shouldn't stay home because she didn't have a date.  Including the other girls is priceless.  Those memories set the stage for adulthood.  

Honored Contributor

This seems to be the norm now.  Groups of girls or boys will even attend the prom without dates.

Times have changed and this is a great idea.  I hope your granddaughter had a wonderful time.

Respected Contributor

My granddaughter and her friends did the same thing. Only they were a year to young to be there. She called my daughter in law and said come pick us up they are on to us. She had no idea that they were to young. She reminds me of my mother. Very much alike. A handful at times.

Honored Contributor

Yea for the new generation!Smiley HappyWoman Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Evie2004  Yes, I would be proud of her too.  Her priorities are in the right place.  Creating memories with your close friends will never be forgotten.  Wonderful that they were able to join forces and spend a fun filled evening together.  

Honored Contributor

This is going back 11 years but my daughter and all her friends, both male and female, went solo to their senior prom.

They all said it was the best time of their lives and none of them regretted it, unlike junior prom where they all had dates.

Respected Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

In 1986 or 1987 (around that time), my friends sister went to her prom by herself.  She didn't want to go with a date.  She just wanted to go, enjoy herself and be with her friends.  It was a looong time ago, but I do remember seeing pictures. She had a great time.  I recall thinking, "how cool is this?"

Respected Contributor

The teens here do the same thing—they attend the dances with groups of friends, and no one misses out on the fun.