Respected Contributor

Re: Protecting children without scaring them...

@ROMARY  I agree, to a point! Actually, it's after a point! I guess I think it's good to "scare 'em silly" once they are old enough that you can no longer expect them to stay close to you or hold your hand out in public. Once they are old enough to go into the bathroom alone it's time to explain to that no one except a parent and the nurse and Doctor , only when a parent is present, can touch you where your bathing suit covers. As they get older, I believe in adding new dangers to the talk! The thing to be careful of, tho, is not to give so many things to fear that they stop hearing them! It's an intricate dance and one I'm glad I'm no longer in charge of! (Although, I still worry about my adult children! My dd and some ladies went away on a birthday weekend for one of the lady's 40th birthday! I tried to remind my dd about things to remember as a woman in a hotel room, like if there is someone at the door saying he is there to fix something in the room, she should call the front desk and ask if someone was sent by them! This is a trick many women of all ages fall for and end up raped and maybe even murdered! I remind my ds not to be out late around bars where drunk men might try to "start" something with him just for fun! My ds is a big guy, but knows nothing about fighting and would not even think about the fact that he could be jumped by a group of drunk guys! That's the one caveat to rearing good, trusting children! They just won't see the bad in others! So, yes, scare 'em to smithereens, but only once you are no longer able to protect them yourself!

PS My dh was Officer McGruff for years. The biggest mistake parents make is letting their children wear items with their names on them! Shirts , book bags, hair bands, etc. that come with full names written on them only help abducters get your kids. A child may not trust someone who doesn't know her name. But, when someone says, " Judy! Hey, Judy, wait! It's me, Uncle Fred! Remember me? I'm your mom's cousin! I met you last summer! Mom's car broke down and I'm the only one who could come get you. She wants me to take you to the garage where her car is being fixed. Here, I'll take your bag for you! So, if you're hungry, mom said I can stop and get you a snack first! If you don't tell, we can get ice cream! I don't want your mom telling me again I ruined your dinner! If we hurry up, we can get it before I have to meet mom!" Now, it would be harder for a child to believe someone who calls her, "little girl"! It's tempting to buy those cute items and kids love them. I only use monograms on items, or just a single letter. It gives kids almost the same feeling but is much safer. Someone would have to be a good guesses to know that a B stands for Bibi! After a few wrong guesses, I'd hope a child would run screaming from the pervert!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama. I think you are right! If the parent stays "matter of fact" about it and does not act as afraid as he or she really is, the child will take it that way. I always was afraid if I didn't scare them enough, they would forget! Such a fine line between good parent/scared child!

Honored Contributor

Some tweens/teens have no fear whatsoever.  I don't like the idea of young girls walking home alone for blocks and blocks at night.  All it takes is a car load of teen boys or men to drive by, just looking for trouble............well, you get my drift. ( I don't know............why don't the moms 'speak up' and warn them.  Maybe pick them up? )

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Jewelwisher:  Yes!  Speak up!  Speak up to our kids and speak up if/when we see something that doesn't look right.  Lots of robberies going on in broad daylight lately. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@ROMARY 

AMEN to that!

Honored Contributor

This book is fantastic for discussing strangers with children!  It's an older book but fantastic!

Image result for book never talk to strangers

Image result for book never talk to strangers

Esteemed Contributor

Here is MN we had the kidnapping of Jacob Wetterling (just recently his kidnap/murder was solved) and those of us that had children at the time became almost obsessed with protecting our children, Patty Wetterling (Jacobs Mother) was/is a pioneer who fought to have the Jacob Wetterling foundaton created, and will never stop fighting for the rights of children, she truly is an angel on earth, and so inspiring to hear speak!

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry, but some of the tween girls around here just aren't scared enough, imo.   My heart drops when I see them looking down, texting, while crossing the streets, jaywalking, right in front of cars.  We (drivers) have to be so very careful, because some tweens (a lot) just aren't paying attention.  I'd say that they should be more 'scared' in order to stay alive.  Better to be nervous, 'scared', etc. while crossing busy streets. (Pause, look both ways, etc. Something our parents taught us.)  I'm only guessing that they will most likely stay alive longer if/when they are scared and carefully cautious.  jmo, of course.