Regular Contributor

@dulwich

hope you will soon have some good news about your grandaughter to pass along.

it does seem to be a rare complication, the few cases i knew of all turned out well, one did take a long time to fully resolve though- in all cases, it seemed to occur out of the blue and no one had ever heard of such a thing before.

is this your first great grandchild? Heart

Honored Contributor

@dulwich

Any news to share?

Frequent Contributor

Respected Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

GOOD GRIEF, no one wants to hear about bad outcomes when worrying about a loved one!!

5-8% of pregnant women develop this. Most of the problems arise when the woman is not diagnosed. Dulwich, your granddaughter is already in the hospital so they are watching her, she will be fine.

Very well said, collegegirls! OP, I'm sending good thoughts and prayers to you and your granddaughter!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Esteemed Contributor

@dulwich- I worked high risk OB/GYN for 20 years and preeclampsia is not new....and treatment hasn't changed that much but the occurance is much less because we know more about the body today, especially during pregnancy.  Usually, the condition will right itself after delivery.  One poster stated "doctors don't listen to patients when they say they don't feel good".  that statement was never true about obstetricians and it isn't today.  OB/GYNs are very attentive to their patient's needs and symptoms during pregnancy and the post partum period.  And, it has nothing to do with listening but there are physical signs....the whole picture is protein in the urine which is tested throughout pregnancy, swelling and elevated blood pressure.  Probably the symptoms existed before your DGD's delivery but were manageable.  

Sometimes, the delivery itself and medications given in labor cause a rise in blood pressure.  Even if she only  had epidural anesthesia, which I don't know, there is epinephrine in the local anesthetic and can cause a rise in blood pressure for a period of time.   Labor is like running a marathon and exhausting and if she had borderline blood pressure, it's enough to cause an elevation....

try not to worry....sedation and rest are the correct ways to handle this in the immediate post partal period....if, she doesn't respond, they will give her specialized medications to bring down her blood pressure...sometimes, if a person has a genetic disposition to hypertension, the condition can remain but with return to normal weight, diet and exercise/activity usually it disappears if it is true preeclampsia.   Obstetricians know how to treat the condition and are best suited to treat it.... its part of their specialty training and not uncommon.

Try to limit visitation so that she rests and that she has extra help at home.  I hope she has improved by now and on her way to recovery.  

Respected Contributor

This is an old thread that was started in February of 2016!

Esteemed Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

This is an old thread that was started in February of 2016!

@Tyak- I hate that!  I hadn't noticed the date...