Honored Contributor

Re: Poll - Mother's Day gift for daughter-in-law?

Image result for gift card images

Respected Contributor

I always give my mom a card and flowers. We go out to dinner with my siblings and all the grandchildren. When my MIL was alive, I did the same for her. My mom always gives me a card. My MIL never did. I didn't expect a gift from either of them. I've been a MIL for 3 years(a gramma for 17 months) I give my DIL flowers and a card. We are going out to dinner Sunday with my family(my mom and siblings, grans) so far my DDIL spends mother's day with us and Easter with her mom and family. It works out well. I also give my sister( sis only has a furbaby but has always been like a mom to my sons)  and SIL flowers and a card. I always make sure the cards are meaningful to each person.

Happy Mother's Day everyone!🌹🌸🌷🌻🌺🌼

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Frequent Contributor

i definitely buy for my daughter-in-law. I get a gift card to her favorite spa for a 

massage or to her favorite clothing store. 

Honored Contributor

I give my daughter and DIL a card and usually a potted flower for the front porch for Mother's Day.

Honored Contributor

But you ladies are only buying these gifts if they have children aren't you.?I wouldn't have thought to by a Mother's Day gift or Father's Day gift if they didn't ...just wondering.

Esteemed Contributor

I always buy my daughter in law a gift on Mother's Day. She likes items for her bath so I try to find those thing. I also like to buy her some piece of casual clothing. She hates to shop and I enjoy it. She has a hard to fit figure and gets frustrated with the whole thing. I look throughout the year and just stash the items in the figt  container. A gift certificate to her favorite hair or nail salon is also very nice. 

Honored Contributor

@dex. My daughter and DIL both have kids.

i also give my older sister something on Mother' Day.  She has no children, but is 16 years older than I.  She used to do a lot for me when I was growing up and she is there for my children and grandkids,

She gets more cards and gifts of Mother's Day than you could imagine.  My children and nieces and nephews all acknowledge her because she has done so much for them.

My mother passed before most of these kids were born, so my sister is a substitute.

You don't need to have biological children to be a mother.  I saw Mother's Day cards from pets to give to their human mommy, and can buy cards that say "You are like a Mother to me"

I personally would not give a card or gift to my daughter or DIL if they had no children.

Honored Contributor

No way, I didn't even give my own daughters Mothers's Day gifts and this is the first for both of them.  We gave them gifts when the babies were born last winter.   We celebrated today at my house and their dad and I gave them each a beautiful card and we each added a personal note.  They gave me gifts because.....I'm their mother.   Tomorrow, they'll get their Mother's Day gifts from their husband's and the babies, of course.    On Father's Day, we'll do something special for the dads and the girls will give their amazing father gifts.....we will give our sons in law cards.  That's the way it we always did it in my family, my husband's family too. 

Respected Contributor

My In laws always remembered me with a card or small gift and have continued to do so for the 37 years that I am no longer technically a daughter-in-law. I treasure every one of those cards showing their love and appreciation for mothering their grandchildren. I have no daughter-in-law to pass this loving gesture to, but I can testify to the pleasure of being the recipient.

Honored Contributor

I always give gifts to my three daughters, two of whom have children, and my youngest, who is such a "mommy" to her three kitties.  I would never leave her out.

They are all coming today and my "cooking daughter" (who, fortunately, loves to cook) told me last night she made a big "ghoulash," all organic ingredients, even though she herself is a meat eater.  She made a chicken dish as well for the rest.

I hope everyone has a happy day! 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986