Honored Contributor

Re: ''New baby must have'' question...

Uggs

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

My must have when my daughter was a baby was an electric swing.  She loved that thing and it's the only place she'd sleep for the longest time.  When that thing broke, we were besides ourselves.

Shoekitty said,  lol!  Me too they loved it drove me nuts.  It bothers some to watch those things goes back and forth.  My kids were born in 1969  no electric, but wind up swing.   They cost 14.99@.  Which was a few hours pay then.   The stuff kids have now a days.  When my first grand was born in 1989 it was diaper Genie!  Number one gift, I have no idea what it is now.  Between buying diapers, plastic inserts for diaper genies and all te other stuff, man it costs.  

when I had kids it was those bottles that had plastic inserts t reduce gas, I also used glass bottles.  We bought tee shirts , wrap around, pull over and snap  a couple outfits, a baby bath combo diaper hanger.  They were cheap, and everything I used is banned now a days.  Not too mention holding babies while Hubble driver, or placing them on seat

Honored Contributor

Aside from some of the great necessities listed here, like the best car seat and a monitor, I will offer up that I love to give books, and lots of them for baby gifts. 

I get the hard board books and some picture books, and even some classics. I try to put together 20 or 25 books in a nice basket. 

To me, especially now more than ever with technology advancing the way it is, having actual books for children is so very important. A lot of people don't think of it during infancy, but I believe we should be reading to kids from day one. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, a case or two of wipes.  Unscented.  And diapers.  Hopefully diapers are unscented now-a-days.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

we have many grand babies and I learned a lot from NICU nurses when our trips were born and spent quite a long time there. I usually put together a gift box of necessities many first time moms don't even know they need. Of course, baby monitors and car seats are some of the latest equipment out there. Most parents prefer picking those out themselves. I usually include the following:
1.Viva papertowels. very soft and saves laundry.Used at our NICU
2.A casabella carpet sweeper. Great for quietly cleaning up while baby is sleeping.
3. A bottle of Dreft spray. It does a great job of prevening the mystery yellowish stains from formula.
4. Giftcards for meal deliveries from area restaurants. I normally have a meal chain set up so several of us bring food the first 10 days after coming home but with COVID, the gift cards seem safer.
5. A package of underpads for adults. These are great for the new mom the first week or so after she has the baby, especially if she had a normal delivery. Can be used on her bed.

6. A dozen cloth diapers. Old school and still useful for almost everything.

These are things that dad is sent out to find in many cases, so getting them to the new moms ahead of the baby is always appreciated.