Trusted Contributor

''New baby must have'' question...

What is your favorite / most useful  thing you would recommend for a new baby ?  I've been out of the loop for years and so much 'new' has come along over time. Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Re: ''New baby must have'' question...

Baby monitor so parents can be anywhere in the rest of the house but still hear any sounds from inside baby's room. 

Infant bathtub. Not everyone wants to bathe baby in the sink. Some baby bathtub models can fold for storage. 

Just two suggestions I can think of right off. 

Trusted Contributor

You're in luck! Our first granddaughter is 19mos and our daughter is having her first this summer. Our DIL is also a neonatal nurse and is up on the latest and has tons of friends having their second or third babies 👶

How much do you plan to spend? The more expensive items that are necessary include the new car seats. (About$300 for one our kids wanted). And a combination portable crib and bassinet, think "pack&play" ($350). Strollers can be close to $500 depending on the functionality, such as accommodating a car seat. Cribs today are of course a big expense and often convert into toddler and adult beds. 

A changing table pad. Our kids got a Peanut. Not cheap but gets a lot of use and holds up well ($130).

Some kind of highchair. Our kids chose the traveling one that attaches to the table since space is at a premium for them and they go out a lot. ($85). A diaper pail 😊

On a less expensive side, everyone wants a Boppy. It's a nursing pillow but helpful for bottle feeding too. Swaddlers and sleep sacks are a necessity. Halo is a big brand. Funny looking but they supposedly help baby stay asleep instead of waking up a lot. Some kind of sound machine that blocks noise. It's a white noise thing. 

Electric nail trimmer. Used a lot!! A humidifier for baby's room. Zutano baby boots are a big item.

If you want brand name suggestions i can give you more!

KJPA
Esteemed Contributor

Onesies in a variety of sizes. Maybe not the cutest items, but they will be used daily.

Respected Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

Onesies in a variety of sizes. Maybe not the cutest items, but they will be used daily.

ITA! In addition to a variety of sizes, I'd recommend getting 2, or maybe even 3, times the number you think they'll need. When DS was little, I put an extra Onsie in his daycare pack everyday. They roll up into almost nothing, but are great to have on hand if the child spits up (or worse). Having something clean to change into brightens everyone's mood. They wash up really well, too. 

Valued Contributor

Definitely a white noise machine. It keeps baby calm while trying to sleep, and it helps block out disturbing noises in the rest of the house while baby sleeps. It is the one thing I couldn't be without when my son was an infant. We used it right through his toddler years for napping and bedtime.

Esteemed Contributor

Baby swing. Whenever my son was colicky, or just wouldn't go to sleep I would put him in the swing & turn it on. It would rock him to sleep & gently rock him for hours.I liked that I could move it easily from room to room,or even into the backyard.

I have since given swings as baby shower gifts & have been told that they worked wonders in quieting down infants.

Regular Contributor

Our newborn granddaughter received a Baby Bouncer relining seat.  When she was little she would lay in the seat and was very comfortable looking around instead of flat on

her bed.  Later as she grew and was strapped in,  SHE

figured how to bounce it and was very content to do so!

It was fun to watch her make it go.

Even as a toddler she still sits in it.   It was the perfect gift.

Respected Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

What is your favorite / most useful  thing you would recommend for a new baby ?  I've been out of the loop for years and so much 'new' has come along over time. Thanks.

Purchase something from the parents' registry, if they have one.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

--Pack and Play (it'is good for traveling, but it is also good to have it in a different room so the baby can play or nap while the parent do work or cook).

--Thermometer (baby gets sick all the time. It is good to monitor their temperatures. A no-touch thermometer or ear thermometer is best).

---Bouncy Seat (good place to set the baby down so you can get some stuff done).