Super Contributor

Need ideas for a 1 year old boy gift

I need ideas for a birthday gift for a one year old boy. He’s our great nephew and I’m at a loss and don’t know what to get. I thought about a Melissa and Doug Tool Box I saw someone give another one year old, but I don’t want to copycat. I don’t have children so I’m out of the loop!!

Any suggestions will help me a lot! 

Thanks!!

War Eagle!
Honored Contributor

Re: Need ideas for a 1 year old boy gift

@MESPal

I like fatbraintoys.com because you can search by age and gender.  IDK your price range nor his interests, but what about something like this?

Vroom blox-

Vroom Blox

• Set of 3 colorful cubes that unfold to transform into 3 rescue vehicles
  • Encourages fine motor skills, visual-spatial skills, cause-effect learning, imaginative play
  • Little learners are mesmerized by the smooth transformation action
  • Pull on corners next to wheels to unfold cube - Smoothly transforms with a snap into a vehicle
  • Sturdy wheels roll smooth and fast
  • Vehicles each detailed with headlights, break lights - Front and side windows with images of driver
  • Fun animal image in each rear window - Firetruck dalmatian, ambulance cat, police dog
  • Includes 3 Vroom Blox - Firetruck, ambulance, police cruiser
  • Vehicles each detailed with vibrant decal stickers
  • Measure 2.25 x 2.25 x 2.25 inches when in cube form
  • Measure 5.25 x 3.5 x 2.25 inches when in vehicle form
  • High quality design and materials - Built for lasting durability and safety

Honored Contributor

Buy whatever your heart desires; he's a baby.  At 1 years old, he'll probably enjoy the ox more than whatever comes in the box.  Just be sure to buy something that's a appropriate for his age.  The ages are always on the box.

Trusted Contributor

Summers coming...how about swim trunks, pale and shovel, a big bounce ball.

Thats always a hit.

Super Contributor

IMG_0477.PNGThis cube has lots of different activities attached to it - no choking risks and no lost pieces .   Recently purchased something similar for a one-year-old gift and it was a big hit !

Trusted Contributor

He’ll probably be walking soon. Buy him a pull toy. They love to walk and pull along a dog or cat or something noisy.  He might not use it right away, but before he’s 2, he’ll be loving it. 

There are also wooden puzzles made for little kids who are just learning shapes. They have only 4-5 pieces, they don’t make noise, many little kids will stay busy putting the pieces in place. (Be careful to avoid anything with small pieces that could be a choking hazard like LEGO sets. Children that age put everything in their mouths.) 

Rocking chair or rocking horsecwith with his name painted on it are popular with little kids. (This would depend on your budget, which you did not mention.)

Anything you give, including clothes, will be something pleasing to his parents. One year olds don’t have much of a concept of a birthday or presents. He’s growing like crazy. New clothes may be very welcome. 

Also a terry robe, a cute “animal” bath towel, or anything embroidered with his name is very thoughtful. 

If you really can’t get it together, give a gift card to a place the parents might enjoy shopping for his needs. 

Honored Contributor

@MESPal We have a 3 yr old great nephew  and I think it was last year we went to Barnes and Noble. They have a nice selection of toys in separate age groups. That was so helpful to us since we didn’t know what to get. Little ones love books too especially ones that sing. We saw a lot of Melissa and Doug toys and puzzles. 

Honored Contributor

The gift I appreciated most of all when my kids were around that age was a gift certificate for shoes.  My kids needed new shoes every 2 months or sooner.

You can get him a little something to open if you want to, but not necessary at that age.

Trusted Contributor

@MESPal He probably has too many toys now. Most kids do.  I would get cloth or soft books. There are many that are fun and educational and indestructible He can chew to his hearts content. (Make sure they are non-toxic)

Super Contributor

Blocks.  He can play with them for years.  

Books.