Occasional Contributor

Re: Need Gift Help: Our GD Will Be 1 Year Old Very Soon

I am fortunate enough to live near Lancaster Pa. For my grandson's first birthday (he is now 5) I bought him an amish made rocking chair. For his sister's first birthday, I got her a beautiful table and chair set. I got my other granddaughter a castle bookcase. All things that they will be able to keep and pass down to their children. We have twins who will be turning 1 in December. Will probably get them something similar. We have also purchased Amish wagons for each family as a Christmas gift in years past. Didn't spend more than $120.00 on any of it. Affter the first bd, we ask parents what the kids need.

Super Contributor

On 10/2/2014 ssssgirl said:
On 10/2/2014 ValuSkr said:

Have you been watching the Christmas programming on QVC? I've seen toy presentations but is nothing appropriate for a one-year-old?

The quality of the toys on the Q is horrible. My mom used to send my kids toys unseen from the Q and they never were made well and most the time, nothing the kids wanted. It WAS the thought that counted, my mom had no idea of the quality as the Q made it saound like they could withstand an elephant herd.

ha ha haaaaaa that is too funny !

Super Contributor

I like the BANK FUND IDEA- Maybe a toy with a card noting the fund. GREAT IDEA !

Esteemed Contributor

Again, want to thank all of you for such kind and wonderful suggestions. I hand't thought of savings bonds and didn't know that Pottery Barn was a source I could seek out, amongst others.

I am making my granddaughter pink cord overalls (med. purple ric-rac trim) with a pink Polartec hooded jacket with purple trim and Velcro closures. So...at this point think we will also purchase a savings bond and take a look at Pottery bond offerings.

Thanks, again, for caring so much to help me through my granddaughter's first birthday.

Esteemed Contributor

Here is what I do. I have eight grandchildren, all ages. I call up the parents (my daughters) ask for a link to Amazon and then I send the item. Works for me. They get what they want or need and I don't have to guess and perhaps buy the wrong thing.

I have a closet full of well intended "wrong things" over the years and I figure I can fix that for others.

Honored Contributor

On 10/2/2014 kitty60 said:

I must be a terrible gp. I told son and dil that the kids would get one small gift and we started a college fund. I would much rather put the money into something that will grow in value and help out all in 18 years. I see the kids get toys costing 100 to 200 that are not used in a couple of months. My gk's have other gp's and step gp's that buy gifts. It's not like they're going without.

Not terrible at all. The child is one! Has no idea what something costs - just what it does or how it looks! I fully believe in buying small-priced as long as they're safe and using the money for life-enhancement funding, be it college or some other path!

Of course if money doesn't count, buy gold and diamonds - so to say. Just ridiculous to me!

Esteemed Contributor

I bought my grandson the Gund Peek A Boo Bear that QVC carries when he was three months old for Christmas. he pretty much ignored it then. he is now 14 months and has finally discovered it and just loves it. He gives it hugs, carries it around and knows how to press it on the foot to start it up. just search Gund Bear on QVCand watch the videos. So cute!
Contributor

I have not yet read all the replies.....However, when my DGSs were about 5 and 7 I was horrified by all the gifts around the Xmas trees. You could hardly get into the room. It was then that I told my DDthat they would get a small gift from me on Xmas or their birthday (like a book or puzzle) but the rest would be going to there collage fund and a fantastic trip when they turned 13. Well, the trips were fantastic. The oldest decided he wanted to go to Egypt....we did Cairo, Luxor, and rode camels to the pyramids. The next DGS decided he wanted to go to Thailand cause he wanted to see his grandmother on an elephant! Well, yes we did, and in both cases have a lot more stories to tell. It is an experience they (or we) will never forget. I highly recommend.
Super Contributor

I didn't buy my granddaughter toys for her birthday. When I was born, my Grandmother gave me a gold chain. Every birthday after that, I received a pearl. By the time I graduated college then got married, I had a beautiful pearl necklace. I still have it. I tried to do that with my own children, but couldn't afford it. I also put money into a college fund for her to use when she is old enough to know whether she wants to go to college or travel or ???
Honored Contributor

They grow up so fast. It's easy to buy gifts when they're young. When they get older, they only want expensive electronic stuff.