Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need Gift Help: Our GD Will Be 1 Year Old Very Soon

The only really neat toy I saw on QVC was the neon glow Twister Tracks. Love those, and so do my gks! I got 2 sets so the track can be really big, along with the extra cars.

I got my GD a shopping cart with play groceries, and she (a year later) still really likes it.

Frequent Contributor

Everyone has such great ideas, but I thought I'd add what we've done for our 2 granddaughters. We gave each 1 their own chair -

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/shop/kids-seating/kids-seating-my-first-chair/?

It's amazing the use these have gotten & the girls love them! In fact, our 5 year old, who outgrew hers has asked for a larger one for her next b-day! Yes, they are pricey, but the quality is outstanding & new covers for other children can be purchased. Out 2 year old just cozies up in hers, reading books (upside down at times!), watching her 1 TV show allowed/day, chatting with anyone who will listen...on & on. Just thought I'd share ~

Congrats on this special time! Isn't it wonderful?!

Honored Contributor

On 10/2/2014 kitty60 said:

I must be a terrible gp. I told son and dil that the kids would get one small gift and we started a college fund. I would much rather put the money into something that will grow in value and help out all in 18 years. I see the kids get toys costing 100 to 200 that are not used in a couple of months. My gk's have other gp's and step gp's that buy gifts. It's not like they're going without.

That's a good idea. When they were young, I hated buying gifts (i.e. toys) for the nephews and niece. Toys R Us is full of junky junk and you knew whatever you bought would lose their interest almost immediately and eventually end up in a garage sale. As they grew older, the only acceptable thing was electronic. And even that would be outdated and yesterday's news in a matter of months.

Honored Contributor

A gift that I have always loved to give is the child's very own first silverware set - spoon & fork for mom & dad to feed the child with. I think these sets make a beautiful meaningful gift.

Frequent Contributor

Since she will just be turning 1 my guess is that she will have plenty of toys to play with. Why not start buying savings bonds or asking the parents if they have a 529 plan in place.

We do a savings bond for almost every holiday and boy does it add up.

Valued Contributor

Pink dogwood, this is a wonderful idea but it depends who you're giving it to. Our sons is in the china cabinet, never used it much. I love Polish Stoneware and bought the celebration set to give to my grand thinking it would be used on special occasions, birthdays, etc. and I would start little ones collection that I love. It sits in DIL's cabinet and has never been used. Our wonderful intentions don't always get translated into how they are meant. Also, I gave my grand a little jewelry set I had used as a child sixty years ago. I remember wearing it as a child and the few pics I have of myself show me in it. DIL says gd is too young to wear it, again it will be something stashed away. I'll just love the girls to death and spend as much time as I can with them, hopefully they will cherish these memories.

Honored Contributor

Giving savings bonds - another great idea. I've done this too, to my nephews & niece when they were babies.

Valued Contributor

Great idea!

Super Contributor

On 10/2/2014 Tulips4U said:

Everyone has such great ideas, but I thought I'd add what we've done for our 2 granddaughters. We gave each 1 their own chair -

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/shop/kids-seating/kids-seating-my-first-chair/?

It's amazing the use these have gotten & the girls love them! In fact, our 5 year old, who outgrew hers has asked for a larger one for her next b-day! Yes, they are pricey, but the quality is outstanding & new covers for other children can be purchased. Out 2 year old just cozies up in hers, reading books (upside down at times!), watching her 1 TV show allowed/day, chatting with anyone who will listen...on & on. Just thought I'd share ~

Congrats on this special time! Isn't it wonderful?!

I bought that chair for my grandson. It's wonderful!

Valued Contributor

My GS is now 18 months. What I do now, is just ask the parents what they think, that avoids repetition which can easily happen.