Esteemed Contributor

Need Gift Help: Our GD Will Be 1 Year Old Very Soon

Our granddaughter will be one very soon and I'm having a terrible time finding something for her. She is deeply into interactive toys. Her Mom already got her a toddler kitchen, which she plays with a lot.

Anyone have any ideas? DH and I have looked around and just haven't found anything. I think I need your experience!

Many thanks in advance.

~R

Super Contributor

Re: Need Gift Help: Our GD Will Be 1 Year Old Very Soon

My youngest GS turned 1 last month. I gave him a toy drum/xylophone. He likes to bang on pots and pans. The toy is quieter...

Also a gift card for a well-known children's shoe store so that he could be measured and fitted properly. Toddlers grow so quickly. His parents were pleased.

Valued Contributor

My grandchildren both LIVED any and all Little Tykes toys, or how about a big bag of DUPLO? They are like legos but lots bigger and chunkier and easy for little hands to put together and pull apart. very colorful

Respected Contributor

A little Tykes shopping cart!

Honored Contributor

I agree about the shopping cart or anything that can be pushed around. Is she walking yet? This will help her to walk or help her along if she is walking.

I always keep toys at my house, too. So if I noticed they favored a toy they received, I would buy one for our house, too.

One that was a real hit is a round table top (no seats) that has a cooktop and oven door. In the middle is a nice storage area for all the play food. The buttons each make cool cooking sounds and it also plays songs.

Probaby Fisher Price, I'm not home now to check. FP has awesome toys.

Check eBay for new toys too. I just got a playhouse with a picnic table for a little over $200. Kmart wanted $117 just to ship it! Came brand new in the box, mint cond.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone for your wonderful suggestions. I hadn't given a thought to shoes, nor had I heard of Little Tykes.

Her mom just got her an IKEA shopping cart and we're running so short on space with all the stuff we have for her that I think we're going to have to get rid of her Exersaucer really soon, though she still likes to jump up and down in it.

She's not walking yet. Pulling up, walking along furniture, etc. Is behind her mom in this regard. He mom walked at 10 months. Each kid is different, so we will look for push toys, as suggested.

Thanks so much, again!

Valued Contributor

I must be a terrible gp. I told son and dil that the kids would get one small gift and we started a college fund. I would much rather put the money into something that will grow in value and help out all in 18 years. I see the kids get toys costing 100 to 200 that are not used in a couple of months. My gk's have other gp's and step gp's that buy gifts. It's not like they're going without.

Honored Contributor

Have you been watching the Christmas programming on QVC? I've seen toy presentations but is nothing appropriate for a one-year-old?

Valued Contributor

On 10/2/2014 ValuSkr said:

Have you been watching the Christmas programming on QVC? I've seen toy presentations but is nothing appropriate for a one-year-old?

The quality of the toys on the Q is horrible. My mom used to send my kids toys unseen from the Q and they never were made well and most the time, nothing the kids wanted. It WAS the thought that counted, my mom had no idea of the quality as the Q made it saound like they could withstand an elephant herd.

Respected Contributor

Our GD had more toys than she could play with, and we knew more were coming for her first birthday. My solution was to register her for diaper delivery for the next year.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.