Esteemed Contributor

Need Car Seat Rec for 4.5 Year Old

Hello Everyone,

Though this is my first time here, I've been with QVC since '89.  My husband and I decided that the car seat my daughter purchased for us to use with our granddaughter is a real pain in the neck and needs to be replaced.

You're going to want to know what we have now, but my husband just drove off with the chair in the car and I haven't a clue.  I can only tell you that it's all black, except for a red part near the top and a really dumb strap tongue that sticks out of the front-bottom of the seat, which you're supposed to pull out to secure the entire strap unit.  To release this strap, you're supposed to be able to reach down into the upholstery of the seat and find a button to push.  Thing is...the bottom doesn't work very well.

Anyway, we want a seat that does not have a strap that sticks out of the bottom that you have to yank and yank on to secure the entire strap unit with the darn button that rarely works.  There must be a manufacturer that has engineered a better seat. 

The remainder of the strap and locking mechanism we now deal with has 4 metal  seat belt type things which one jams into various slots.  Two different buttons release these, with much difficulty.

What frightens me about this seat would be my inability to remove my granddaughter quickly should we need to evacuate the car for some reason.  She is a virtual prisoner in this darn seat.

Thank you for reading this tome.  Any recommendations you can provide will be so very welcome.  Thank you so much in advance!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need Car Seat Rec for 4.5 Year Old

At 4 1/2 how much does she weigh?  Does she need a carseat or a booster seat?  Once you have determined that research on Amazon (best seller is a good tip).  Read the specs and the reviews, order appropriate seat on Prime (you'll have it in two days).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In addition to what Patbz stated, you can also go on YouTube for installation video instructions to make sure the seat you have selected will not be difficult for you & your hubby to handle.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@patbz

@Mz iMac

@K9buddy

Thank you so much for replying.

My granddaughter weighs in around 45 lbs.  She requires a car seat in the very upright position.  Not old enough nor tall enough for the booster.

Great suggestions all around.  My husband indicated he'll want to do some hands-on prior to purchase, though we may eventually order via Amazon, where we do have Prime.  Hadn't thought of YouTube; and, appreciate the line provided, K9buddy.

The seat my daughter purchased for us is:

"Costco Finale 2-in-1"

Respected Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Though this is my first time here, I've been with QVC since '89.  My husband and I decided that the car seat my daughter purchased for us to use with our granddaughter is a real pain in the neck and needs to be replaced.

You're going to want to know what we have now, but my husband just drove off with the chair in the car and I haven't a clue.  I can only tell you that it's all black, except for a red part near the top and a really dumb strap tongue that sticks out of the front-bottom of the seat, which you're supposed to pull out to secure the entire strap unit.  To release this strap, you're supposed to be able to reach down into the upholstery of the seat and find a button to push.  Thing is...the bottom doesn't work very well.

Anyway, we want a seat that does not have a strap that sticks out of the bottom that you have to yank and yank on to secure the entire strap unit with the darn button that rarely works.  There must be a manufacturer that has engineered a better seat. 

The remainder of the strap and locking mechanism we now deal with has 4 metal  seat belt type things which one jams into various slots.  Two different buttons release these, with much difficulty.

What frightens me about this seat would be my inability to remove my granddaughter quickly should we need to evacuate the car for some reason.  She is a virtual prisoner in this darn seat.

Thank you for reading this tome.  Any recommendations you can provide will be so very welcome.  Thank you so much in advance!

I used a Britax.  I also went to my local police department and they installed it for me.  That seat was in there so good, didn't budge!

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

I used a Britax.  I also went to my local police department and they installed it for me.  That seat was in there so good, didn't budge!

@ScrapHappy

Thanks so much for your recommendation.  You're fortunate to have a police department that offers such a service.  In our city, we're down several hundred police officers, so I doubt the service is offered, thought I'll certainly ask.

Respected Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@ScrapHappy

Thanks so much for your recommendation.  You're fortunate to have a police department that offers such a service.  In our city, we're down several hundred police officers, so I doubt the service is offered, thought I'll certainly ask.

If your local police department doesn't do it, perhaps you can try the next city over closest to you?  Just a thought.  A woman put mine in.  I had a seat protector for underneath, which she took off.  Said it wasn't allowed.  The officer also checks if the carseat is on any recall lists.  I remember he putting it in.  Did she ever get it in.  She was on top of it, with he knee and all her weight into the carseat tightening everything. 

Honored Contributor

There is a lot of good information online with recommendations based on weight, age, etc.  Start there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another fan of Britax -5 point harness booster seat.

Kids aren't thrilled with it (looks like a big car seat), but mine stayed in it until 7.

I don't care for the small booster seats. (safety reasons)

@sfnative