Honored Contributor

Re: Need Advice and Suggestions From Moms With Older Teens

@Still Raining @patticakes Did you put the tracker on your DD like you talked about? You seem obsessed by this. Maybe you need to talk to someone and get some advice.

You keep posting asking for advice. None of us can tell you what to do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

At 18, like it or not, the choice is pretty much your daughter's to make. As far as it goes, I know people a good deal older who don't always exhibit the level of judgment one would expect. I don't know the circumstances, but it sounds like maybe letting go is a bit of an issue here.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@patticakes    Looks like you've posed this question before and have had many responses.  How many opinions do you need to make a decision?  It's not going to get any easier so just tell her yes or no and be done with it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@patticakes wrote:

At what age would you or did you feel comfortable having your 18 year old daughter travel out of town unchallenged with older friends?  Let me be clear,  I know the legal age is 18 but I also don't think that means an 18 year old is always thinking like an adult.

Answer: After the child has moved out of my home and is self-sufficient, earning their own money. I would never let my high school child go on an unchaperoned trip. 

Valued Contributor

If at the age of 18, the gov't can send our sons to war, I think you can allow your child to go out of town unchaperoned. Sometimes letting go is very difficult, but in order for our kids to grow and have self-awareness, we need to allow them to venture out. They learn from mistakes as hard as it may be for them (and us). 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patticakes wrote:

At what age would you or did you feel comfortable having your 18 year old daughter travel out of town unchallenged with older friends?  Let me be clear,  I know the legal age is 18 but I also don't think that means an 18 year old is always thinking like an adult.

Age isn't the issue. It's about maturity level and how they've been raised.

Some things to consider:

Does she know how to respond in different situations? Does she think ahead and understand consequences? Does she have a plan for her life that she doesn't want to mess up?

Do you have control issues? Do you tend to over-worry? Are you afraid of the eventual empty nest so you don't want her to grow up?

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@GenXmuse I think you're right. She's waiting for someone to tell her what to do.

I have a grown son, not a daughter, so I'n not responding.

@Love my grandkids You are responding. A little kindness goes a long way. Maybe she she didn't see the first response. Maybe she did who cares. Either give her your insight, or don't post, and they say your not responding!

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart I agree. I would not allow a high school kid, 18 or not, to go on an unchaperoned trip. Do these parents who allow it ever watch the news?

Honored Contributor

@manny2 You seriously don't think the OP saw the numerous pages of responses? Alrighty then. I beg to differ. I did NOT say what I would do about an 18 year old GIRL. Got it? Good.

Respected Contributor

Depends on the maturity of the particular 18-year-old.  Maturity varies widely.