Valued Contributor

I think you will have a difficult time asking children to keep the noise level down in the summer.

Your best bet will be to soundproof her office room.  The easiest way I know of would be to hang dense fabrics on the walls and have as few hard surfaces as possible.  You could use inexpensive rugs hung on grommets & hooks or lined drapery panels hung from rods at ceiling level.  Be sure to carpet the floor, and try cloaking dressers and cabinet sides with quilted fabrics.

Honored Contributor

Are they right under her window when they are out? Perhaps your daughter could work on the other side of the house where they aren't so close. If not - she may want to talk to the parents reminding them of what you have done to create quiet for them.

Valued Contributor

I forgot to mention another idea for a quiet workspace.  Many office buildings will rent small single  offices.  You get the advantage of the restrooms and whatever comes with the space.

My husband once rented an office that was inside a large  warehouse space.  Parking was easy and rent was very inexpensive.  A friend once rented unused office space in a church.  These "odd" office spaces are everywhere, but take some searching newspapers or calling a Realtor for help.

Honored Contributor

I would try using a fan, something like a box fan with a fairly loud hum.  I would get her a headset with a mouthpiece into which she would talk.  It doesn't allow so much ambient noise.  I bet these two things would help.  Close doors and windows if possible. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I would try using a fan, something like a box fan with a fairly loud hum.  I would get her a headset with a mouthpiece into which she would talk.  It doesn't allow so much ambient noise.  I bet these two things would help.  Close doors and windows if possible. 

Good idea about a headset. Some are really designed to block background noise.

Honored Contributor

Re: NOISY NEIGHBOR KIDs.

[ Edited ]

I think it is unreasonable to ask kids to be quiet during day time hours.

That was a nice of your dgd to stop playing basketball after 7pm. She doesn't have too.

The dog  should not be barking all day.

The world can't stop because your dgd has to make calls.

She needs to rent a small office space, or find a quieter space in the home.

I  am sensiitve to noises. I have a loud fan on to block it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: NOISY NEIGHBOR KIDs.

[ Edited ]

@sydsgma1 wrote:

My dd just landed a great telecommute job . She is in the health insurance field and works with doctors and clinics.She is on the phone most of the day. Our next door neighbors have 3 little boys, 6, 4 and 2 who scream all day long outside. Her providers can hear them. 

We are neighborly but but not Friends . She does not want to offend them but they do cause a disturbance for her work environment. Her own child and friends are very quiet inside and out while she is working.

So my question is how to handle this? They have complained about our little dog barking so we have trained her not to . My dgd also does not play basketball after 7 because they said it bothered their kids trying to go to sleep.

ideas??? Thanks 

Since they have voiced similar complaints to you, I see no reason why you can't say something to them.  Yes, the kids are young and young kids do need to play.  And kids can be noisy.  But I would approach the parents in a friendly way, and gently remind them that you have accommodated their requests in the past.

Perhaps you can get them to agree to certain times of day when they will do their best to have the kids play quiet games outside - or play inside.  By opening a conversation, you might be able to come up with a compromise.

I understand the frustration.  I used to have neighbors with noisy kids, and I always loved rainy days when they were inside!

(I also agree with the posters who suggested being pro-active and doing whatever you can to block noise in your daughter's work area.)

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Employees at call centers always use headsets with microphones for that reason. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Employees at call centers always use headsets with microphones for that reason. 

I think some are much more noise filtering than others. Some call centers I reach you can hear so much background noise. Lots of voices and other phones ringing, it's really annoying, and awfully loud and distracting. I don't know how the rep is hearing or concentrating.

Might take a little research to find the best one but would be a good investment I think.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for your ideas. By the way our little dog rarely barks...she is well trained.

my dd has ordered sound proof curtains...her office is on the side of the house away from the kids...we have central ac but do not run it when the weather is nice. She is going to get a small box fan.  

Part oc of the problem is the boys like to play on the sidewalk in front of our house and scream. I love kids..have grandchildren the same ages.BUT I have never heard children scream the way these do.

I did find out other neighbors have complained and the reaction was "they are just kids" . 

We we are peaceful people so will find an interior solution.