Respected Contributor

Re: My son nearly broke his ankle

Are you saying they  have an elevator but no one is allowed to use it without permission?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Times have changed.  Sixty years ago, I fell down the steps and broke my arm in 4 places.   There were  2 breaks each in the radius and ulna or in other words the forearm. I got a cast put on that day in the doctor's office (yes the doctor's office) and was back in school two days later with my arm in a sling and a couple of aspirin to take.  No need to worry so much.   Kids are resilient.

Esteemed Contributor

You could speak to the School Nurse to ease your mind....I would think boys this age might want to 'tough it out' and that may affect his recovery...

Regular Contributor

i WOULD CALL SCHOOL TO MAKE SURE HE CAN USE ELEVATORS OTHERWISE KEEP HIM HOME, IT'S NOT WORTH RISKING MAKING IT WORSE WITH THE CROWDS AND TRYING TO GET UPSTAIRS, I SAY THIS BECAUSE I HAVE MANY TIMES PUSHED TOO HARD AND TOOK CHANCES AND LOST, MAKING THINGS WORSE, I AM PAYING FOR THAT EVERYDAY NOW IN PAIN AND DISABLED, CAN YOU GET HIM A CRUTCH, SOME MIGHT JUST SAY IT'S A SPRAIN BUT IT CAN EASILY BECOME WORSE, I'M THINKING OF A FALL DOWN THOSE STEPS AT SCHOOL IN THE CROWDS RUSHING TO AND FROM CLASSES.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

Are you saying they  have an elevator but no one is allowed to use it without permission?

Where I taught the elevator could only be used by disabled students and faculty.

@CaryH

I'm more than certain if your son goes to the nurse's office, he will be given permission to leave class early and/or arrive late. as well as use the elevator.

Honored Contributor

That's the way it is in every school I ever heard of that had an elevator.  The elevators aren't there for the students unless they have a disability or an injury that makes stairs unsfafe for them.  And they have to have permission.

Esteemed Contributor

@CaryH Prayers sent.

Hope your son is better soon! It's hard not to worry! <3

Respected Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

Is this the first time your 17 year old ever had a boo boo?  You are making something out of nothing.  If they didn't give him crutches or cane and nothing was  or sprained, he just has a sore ankle.  They must have prescribed something for pain.  If not you can get some Motrin.  First, find out if feels he needs some accommodations from the school.  That's his call to make, he's not a child.  If he needs help, call the school nurse and explain his situation.  I work for hospital, the ED report clearly states what he should avoid, things like stairs.  He should take that to the nurse and the school will takeover it from there.  Don't make something out of nothing. 

I'm sorry, I don't agree for several reasons! First, take your son to an orthopedic doctor! I fell at work, was told by hospital (and an incompetent Doctor) that I had no fracture, just a level 3 sprain. Long story short, after 4 weeks of agony, a good foot doctor knew immediately I had a Lisfranc fracture, and as a result of misdiagnosis, I nearly lost my foot! Next, I taught in a high school for five years. Your fears are not so silly. I had a student who injured his foot at school , and three days later, fell on a pat of butter someone dropped, and was injured worse! Whether or not he gets to use the elevator, ask that he get a five minute pass. This allows him to go through the halls five minutes before or after the hoards! Finally, encourage him to use all accommodations the school offers him! My dd was too embarrassed to use hers after getting 16 stitches in the bottom of her foot! It took her twice as long to heal because she insisted on walking all three flights of stairs! Good luck!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

Yes! In our high school, not only does one need permission, but an adult school employee must accompany the student every time, as well!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Esteemed Contributor

@scotnovel wrote:

Times have changed.  Sixty years ago, I fell down the steps and broke my arm in 4 places.   There were  2 breaks each in the radius and ulna or in other words the forearm. I got a cast put on that day in the doctor's office (yes the doctor's office) and was back in school two days later with my arm in a sling and a couple of aspirin to take.  No need to worry so much.   Kids are resilient.

I agree.  I raised two sons, and spent a lot of time in emergency rooms and dealing with all kinds of injuries.  This seem like a typical kid thing to me, and yes it's hard on a Mom, but kids absolutely are reslient.  And a 17 y.o. is not a baby.

I would call the school to to find out ahead of time what steps need to be taken in advance in case he'll need to use the elevator.  Other than that, I agree with the poster who said it's best not to make this into more than it is.