Valued Contributor

Re: My husband always worried about babies not properly dressed for cold temps

Put a little tag on your child with your name, address, cell phone number just in case.  We have had an annual pass for years and I would hate to imagine the children we have helped.

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

My husband always worries about the little tots we see when we are eating out

I live in a cold climate   and we are both amazed  at how little respect is shown for  cold temps.

Mr Cherry always watches the infants ,with their parents, and  always remarks to me, when he sees a baby without a hat ,and no shoes/socks, and sometimes, not even a coat ,being carried out to the car, in the dead of winter

The parents are always bundled up. What makes them think their child doesn't feel the cold?

He always tells our waitress friends, how much he is impressed ,by the way they wrap their children up, in cold weather. He sees their pictures on facebook

Then you better not come to Florida .... I know its not cold .. but here you

see kids in Wal Mart with nothing on but a diaper.. not even socks ....

and yesterday i was in the grocery store and  saw at least 3 girls that

lookded like their had not been combed in a week ....

Trusted Contributor

I see this all the time. It makes me so sad. I see the parents all nice and warm and the kids don't even have coat on and coughing. They can't be that stupid.

Honored Contributor

I don't recall ever seeing such a thing.  Sometimes, I see kids who should be wearing gloves or hat or who have the coats wide open but nothing like you describe.  I don't follow waitresses on FB so I have no idea about how warmly their children are dressed...lol

Respected Contributor

I saw a tiny girl with her mom in the very cold weather recently in a little shirt and shorts.  The mom was dressed this way too. I thought aww that poor little girl must be cold!

Honored Contributor

It bothers me too. Some of them dont have hats on, and it is cold out there never mind the wind...I am old school, I believe in bundling up kids, babies, toddlers, etc.....I got after my son in law before for allowing the girls out without hats on, we live in the Mid West and our winters can be brutal.....

To me, Common Sense tells you to put a warm coat and hat on small ones when it is cold outside...As for babies, they need to have a blanket around them as well depending on where you live.....  

Honored Contributor

People dress very strangely. It was snowing here yesterday. We walk at out local hospital everyday

I was wearing snow boots, and a winter coat. A woman came out to her car, a new SUV wearing flip flops, and some sort of light  jacket.

I don't know how she stood it. I would be so afraid I would get stranded, and have to end up walking in those things!..I guess they never consider things like that

Esteemed Contributor

You cannot call Child Protective Services with a license plate number to report a parent for not putting a coat/gloves/hat on a child.  Even if you called the police with a license plate number and told them you saw a parent and a child with no coat on, I doubt they would do much.

I agree I am amazed when it is very cold out and I see adult parents all bundled up but their kids don't even have a coat on. This winter when we were at Target I saw a little girl with her parents walking into the store and the adults had coats on but not the little girl. She was about 3 and could talk and I said oh my goodness aren't you freezing, I would be so cold without my coat. The parents said right away, she doesn't like to wear her coat. Just as the mom said that the little girl said I am cold. I just shook my head.

There are some kids that refuse to wear hats. My grandson used to pull every hat off you put on him. Even the winter hats you could tie, he would scream his bloody head off and pull and pull til he got it off. I loved those newsboy caps and wanted him to wear one so bad because he looked so cute in it. No dice. Now that he is older we can tell him he must wear a hat when it is cold out and he listens but when he was a baby he gave us quite a fight. 

I don't mind so much about the gloves and hat but if it is really cold, kids need a coat. When I was younger I never wanted to wear a coat and I was rarely cold. We lived in Buffalo and I can remember it would be a blizzard out and I would wait for the bus with no coat on. My mother used to freak out. I did not like it when older people would tell me I would get sick if I wasn't wearing a coat/hat/gloves. No you won't. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

Funny, when I read this I was reminded of something my mother told me very recently-she said when I was an infant, she would put me outside on the deck, I guess to get some fresh air???  I was born in December, in New England 🙄

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

@Karie2022 wrote:

Funny, when I read this I was reminded of something my mother told me very recently-she said when I was an infant, she would put me outside on the deck, I guess to get some fresh air???  I was born in December, in New England 🙄

That is also really common in Nordic countries @Karie2022. For parents in those countries, it is really common to let their babies takes naps outside and baby buggies line up outside of coffee shops when the moms go to get coffee. In Sweden daycares do it also.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK