Esteemed Contributor

Re: My house or their house?

I have three grandchildren and they love staying at my house and going to places around here....bowling..movies..restaurants...miniature golf....

To say we are crowded in my one bedroom apartment..is the understatement....but we have so much fun....

I vote for having her at your house...

Valued Contributor

If you spend alot of time with your gd it may not matter.  With mine it depends on what is going on.  Some days it is just easier at their house.  We do live an hour and a half away so I would rather plan on where to be.  I wouldn't worry about toys if you spend it at your house.  I keep a small number of items that "we" play with when she's here and she insists on keeping them here.  Our time together is special and we both enjoy sleepovers no matter where they are.

Honored Contributor

I loved to go to Grandma's house..........she would allow me in the kitchen and let me "help" her cook and bake.    At home, in "my" house, the kitchen was off limits except to eat.    I couldn't even open the fridge without asking permission.........and then my ma had to get the item for me.    I was not allowed to touch the handle or take anything on my own.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

My grand has spent many nights at my house broom the week she was born (to give my dd and sil a full night's sleep at least once a week!) so when her parents go away she comes to " her room"! But, if this has never happened with you, I think you may be right. Unless there is a big problem for you to go there, that's probably what I would do! Plus, try asking her parents! Maybe she is looking forward to a trip of her own!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I loved to go to Grandma's house..........she would allow me in the kitchen and let me "help" her cook and bake.    At home, in "my" house, the kitchen was off limits except to eat.    I couldn't even open the fridge without asking permission.........and then my ma had to get the item for me.    I was not allowed to touch the handle or take anything on my own.

@Desertdi

Oh this post about brought tears to my eyes!  I'm so happy you have such memories of your Grandmother!  My GM lived almost 2 hours from us.  When she knew we were coming for a visit, she would "hide" goodies from us!  It was all in fun because she liked to see us go on The Hunt for the goodies.  It was like an Easter Egg hunt every time we visited! 

Honored Contributor

I would go by what my daughter wanted.  Maybe she doesn't want to get the house spiffed up for company to stay there.  Hope you enjoy your grandchild time.

Honored Contributor

I thing it should be their house, without a doubt.  She's just 4 and she should be in her own surroundings with her own things and her own bed.  Being away from Mom and Dad will be hard enough for her.  Don't forget, 2 days is a very long time for a 4 year old.

Esteemed Contributor

Well...I ended up letting her sleep in her own bed at night. We did the usual bedtime routine that her Mom & Dad do....tubby time....read a book and then to bed. During the daytime, we took her to Chuck E Cheese, Outdoor Fair with face and pumkin painting and shopping at the mall.

Gramma is tired...but it went well and was fun....by Sunday night though she was asking when her Mom and Dad were coming home.....