Esteemed Contributor

My daughter and her hubby are going out of town for a wedding. They will be gone 2 days. She wanted to bring my 4 yr old Granddaughter here for the whole weekend.....I am thinking since this is her first time that her parents will be gone....their house might be better. I think sleeping in her own bed might work better this time.

We live close enough to each other that I can bring her here for some of the day.

Honored Contributor

Re: My house or their house?

Ask your granddaughter where she would like to spend the weekend.  My grandkids love to come to my house and prefer that to me staying at their home when I have them for a few days.

At age four, she is old enough to know what she wants.  Make sure the parents approve before asking.

Honored Contributor

At four, I'd think she would love to stay at grandma's house.

Regular Contributor

My grandchildren love sleepovers at my house & have since they were 2. Just try to make it special by serving her favorite food & treats, as well as playing games, let's pretend, & snuggling up to watch her favorite movie before bedtime. She & you will love the experience.

Respected Contributor

I usually find it easier to stay at my daughter's house to watch my grandchildren overnight. I also live close enough that I can bring them to my house for a few hours and then go back for the night. They do seem to sleep better in their own beds. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have advice. I just wanted to say how thoughtful and nice you are to think about her and her feelings. I bet you are a great grandmother! Hope you have fun.

Honored Contributor

My son has 2 toddlers, if I keep both at the same time, I keep them at their house.   But if I only keep one, they bring him to my house.

Wherever you decide, have fun!

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

My daughter and her hubby are going out of town for a wedding. They will be gone 2 days. She wanted to bring my 4 yr old Granddaughter here for the whole weekend.....I am thinking since this is her first time that her parents will be gone....their house might be better. I think sleeping in her own bed might work better this time.

We live close enough to each other that I can bring her here for some of the day.

Valued Contributor

I agree with comments regarding both houses. I have two boys and have done it both ways. I think it's easier for me to keep them at my house rather than packing everything up including toys. However, they enjoyed going to my sister's house (our parents are deceased) for a change in scenery. I packed a goodie bag with their favorite snacks and a new movie. Since both houses are close, I'd let your granddaughter decide and if she is undecided, how about staying one night at each house? As another poster mentioned, you are a wonderful grandma to think of her feelings. 

Trusted Contributor

Because she has never been away from her parents or her home I would go to their house.  For the first time being away from mom and dad she might feel better with her own things.  After breakfast you and her can plan your day together.  You know your granddaughter better than we do.  No 2 children are alike, not even siblings.   If the first day goes well you can ask her if she wants to have a fun sleep over at grandmas, go to a favorite place, anything that she enjoys.  You have the opportunity for a deeper bonding.  You can judge as you go and move forward as you see that she is comfortable.  My 8 year old grandson likes to stay at his house because all of his things are there.  I have spent hours playing Skylanders, etc on the WII,  putting Ninjago critter puzzles together, playing chess.  We do our day excursions.  I am a grandma and a great gram of young people from 2 months to 30 years old.   For me it has been easier at their house with all of their favorite things.  Have fun and enjoy the moments.  She is growing up fast.  Make sure you take lots of pictures.  Oh!   All kids love to bake and cook with grandma.  Soon he will be cooking for me without my help.

Valued Contributor

We have a five year old grandaughter and i think it's better at her house because she has everything there.  (toys, bed, etc.). She has stayed for a weekend at our house and it is fine.  My husband wanted her to stay for a couple of nights and after she left he said to me, "if I ever want her to come and stay two nights again, just shoot me".  LOL.  He was just kidding of course, but they are very busy at that age. She loves him and follows him around everywhere.