Esteemed Contributor

I always gave my children a time out. But, your idea is good too. Bravo!  ! 

Trusted Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

My husband and I were shopping at a local Walmart and I saw a girl 4 or 5 years old throw herself on the floor, screaming and crying. She would get up and walk a few more feet and throw herself on the floor again, screaming and crying. Her mother ignored her and what looked to be her sister shrugged her shoulders and they walked away from her.Can you imagine how this child acts out at home if she acts like that in public.I think when a child behaves like that the whole family needs professional help.I would blow my brains out if I had a kid like that. My son was so well behaved I could take him to a meeting with me and he would play with a toy on the floor and not make a sound. He was such a delightful child.

The gist of this comment really disturbed me.  How do you think that mother was really feeling inside?  I have a child with ADHD and other issues, he is almost 12 and still known to have meltdowns over what may be insignificant to most people.  As a parent I feel horrible when it happens to me in public but I have to do my best to keep my cool as well.  Any time I see a parent go through this I always quietly sympathize because I can only imagine what she is going through inside.  I can't tell you the number of times I've gotten in my car and started crying of embarrassment and frustration after experiencing this myself in public.  My other 3 children do NOT have meltdowns but the one that does really wears me down emotionally.

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

My husband and I were shopping at a local Walmart and I saw a girl 4 or 5 years old throw herself on the floor, screaming and crying. She would get up and walk a few more feet and throw herself on the floor again, screaming and crying. Her mother ignored her and what looked to be her sister shrugged her shoulders and they walked away from her.Can you imagine how this child acts out at home if she acts like that in public.I think when a child behaves like that the whole family needs professional help.I would blow my brains out if I had a kid like that. My son was so well behaved I could take him to a meeting with me and he would play with a toy on the floor and not make a sound. He was such a delightful child.

The gist of this comment really disturbed me.  How do you think that mother was really feeling inside?  I have a child with ADHD and other issues, he is almost 12 and still known to have meltdowns over what may be insignificant to most people.  As a parent I feel horrible when it happens to me in public but I have to do my best to keep my cool as well.  Any time I see a parent go through this I always quietly sympathize because I can only imagine what she is going through inside.  I can't tell you the number of times I've gotten in my car and started crying of embarrassment and frustration after experiencing this myself in public.  My other 3 children do NOT have meltdowns but the one that does really wears me down emotionally.

@mimomof4.  It disturbs me too.

Valued Contributor

It is so easy for adults who have not experienced a child with a legitimate issue think it is the child's fault.  My heart goes out to parents with children that they try their best to control.  I never experienced it until my granddaughter developed some of these issues.  I have now gotten my husband to recognize the difference.  So proud of her, she made it through the first week of first grade with only one minor issue Wednesday morning.  Her shcool has a wonderful, understanding prinicpal (as he has a child with similar issues) and he was able to get down, talk her out and take her in to school.  I just love that man.

Trusted Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

@FuzzyFace wrote:

@Warrior2022 wrote:

Bratty behavior needs to be stopped.  She acted like a brat.  You rewarded her bratiness.

I'll bet you were just a barrel of laughs as a mother; or did you even have any children? I've noticed that all too often, it's people who don't have children who think they know everything about it

Actually, you sound pretty bratty yourself; maybe that's why you know so much about it

No, I certainly was not a brat nor was my child.  My parents didn't play that game and neither did my husband and I.  Like some people have posted, we ignored or removed him from the situation.  We did not reward him by playing with toys. 

And I really don't blame the child, it's those that encourage it that are at fault.  Now she knows if she has a fit, her grandparents will make it a ok.  And hey, it's a grandparents right to spoil their grandkids but within reason.

And like you, I also have a problem with people that don't have kids telling others how to do it. 

You posted a story on a public forum and are not liking my responses, so that makes me a brat.  Excuse me while I throw myself down and scream at the top of my lungs.

Now I actually pity the poor child.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There there, little girl; no need to get yourself worked up. It'll all be fine real soon. Woman Tongue

Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFace

You never met my granddaughter. Lol. She is 29 now, and is an actress.  Makes sense!  Lol!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

One of my granddaughters had meltdowns when she was little. The most embarrassing was when we were in Paris visiting French friends. My granddaughter was really letting loose on my daughter and son-in-law as we strolled down the street. My friends don’t speak English but they surely understood what was happening. I decided to get involved. I took my granddaughter aside, said enough to get her distracted, and then made her laugh. My friend told me I handled it beautifully. I was very proud but, to be honest, I was even more relieved.

Esteemed Contributor

I know someone who is a child Psychologist and he usually says to take the child away from the situation, in other words, distract the child and that is what you did.

I also know a Mom who would scream along with the child. Of course the child would stop screaming, look at her mom and then break out laughing.

Why do some people call a child who throws a tantrum, a brat? Wow!!.

I have a question. What do you call an ADULT who throws a tantrum?

Regular Contributor

@Bascia wrote

Sorry but I find posting that kind of stuff is inappropriate.

If you consider it "inappropriate", why did you read it, much less comment on it?  All you're doing is perpetuating something you disapprove of by giving it your attention.