Honored Contributor

My girl is coming home on Monday....so happy!

My daughter and her husband and the baby have been away for month and I miss them so much.  I was fine the first two weeks, it just felt like they were on vacation but as time went on, I really missed seeing her and my grandbaby.  She lives 20 minutes away and we all have dinner together once a week and I spend time with the baby a couple of times a week.  She's away working with her team on project and wrapping up text book for their PhD project.  She couldn't stand being away from her baby for so long so her husband went along to take care of the baby while she works.  That's been a problem for her, him too.  My girl is biochemist, she's brilliant but not an "in your face" kind of brilliance.  She's been juggling work and her home and the baby and her Phd studies and the project for years and she's almost at the end....she almost has it, they are wrapping up things and getting the book ready for the publisher.  Their research project will be reviewed and critiqued by other scientists.   It's a lot of work and she's doing it with people who are as brilliant and hard working and focused as she is.  Her husband who I love like a son is having a hard time because usually, he is the smartest person in the room.  He's a smart guy, he's a middle school teacher and very well read.  He can speak knowledeably on many subjects.....but not the sciences.  That is not his strength.    Apparently he tried and it did no go well for him.  She didn't say it but I think he came across as foolish for trying.  Then he got mad and defensive and that's the last thing she needed.  He wasn't the only spouse in the group but he had a chip on his shoulder the whole month and refused to just relax and enjoy the time away.    He's usually such an easy going guy but I don't think he's ever been around a bunch of egg head scientists before....and for a whole month.  For their sake, I'm glad they are coming home.  We've been babysitting their house and I am glad that will be over too.  Actually, it's been hubby switching out the cars so that their cars weren't sitting in the garage for a month.  We eat dinner over their a couple of times a week so that there's life and movement in the house.  The lights and the living room tv are on a timer and they didn't tell any of their neighbors that they were going away.  You cannot be too careful these days. Marriage can be funny.  They haven't been happy with each and I hope they can put the strain behind them when they get home and go back to their real lives.  

Respected Contributor

Re: My girl is coming home on Monday....so happy!

That sounds stressful for your daughter and son-in-law.  I bet things will settle down once they return home.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My son has been living in San Diego for the past three years, his job took him there.

Now his job is bringing him home at the end of the year.   Yay !!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the east coast (NNJ).

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

That sounds stressful for your daughter and son-in-law.  I bet things will settle down once they return home.  

I think they'll be fine when they get home too.  It was such a stressful and almost surreal time for them and a month is a long time.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree. I know you’ll be happy to have them home and they’ll be glad that the month away is over. Maybe you and dh can offer to take the baby for a weekend and give them a chance to reconnect with each other. 

Enjoy the reunion w/ your family. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@chrystaltree. I know you’ll be happy to have them home and they’ll be glad that the month away is over. Maybe you and dh can offer to take the baby for a weekend and give them a chance to reconnect with each other. 

Enjoy the reunion w/ your family. 

Hubby and I talked about that yesterday, it would be nice if they could get away for a couple days.  My sil is a teacher so he has the time but my daughter has to back to work on Thursday.  She probably has no vacation days left and even so, there's no way that she could take any more time off.  With summer vacations, I imagine the lab was short handed while she was away.

Honored Contributor

To add to the saga;  hubby and I were at their house today.  He did yard work and I shopped and filled the house with groceries.  I made big lasagna, a salad and cupcakes so they won't have to cook dinner when they get in.  

Respected Contributor

Life does have it's ups and downs. I bet they both will be happy to be back home. You are just what they need right now and dinner on the table to boot. Hope you all can enjoy this time together and give your grandchild some hugs, kiss and some snuggles. 

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree.....thanks for sharing this.... i love to read about other posters' lives.... I hear such a caring set of parents.... you have a daughter/son-in-law to be proud of... and I bet that grandbaby is a delight.... I wish the best for all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree  Your SIL will be fine, once he's back home and on familiar turf.

Even if they can't take a vacation, maybe you could babysit a couple times a week so they could go out to dinner together. No doubt they could use some alone time...