Respected Contributor

This has been such a long, hard, struggle. It took her so long to find any job.

She finally got a part time job in a fast food restaurant. It is a 24 hour operation, so she works all hours of the day and night.

About a month ago, she applied for a "crew manager" position. It is a promotion, the best part being full time with benefits. We have been paying $558 per month for her health care to keep her from Medicaid.

It's not prestigious or really well paying, but it's a step up. The benefits will take a worry off my mind.

Down side is it's way further away from where she's been working - from 1 mile to 27 miles. She doesn't have a car and has been using our cars. That is yet to be worked out.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Re: My daughter got a promotion

Yea, Hyacinth, she's on her way!
Respected Contributor

Baby steps. She'll get there!

Esteemed Contributor

Good for her, I hope it works out.

Valued Contributor

Thank GOD you gave your daughter the spirit of independence and get up and GO. I have family members who would come to work if you gave them a job and picked them up each day. At least she is TRYING..

The best gift a parent can give their child is the gift of independence. I know 45 year old men living at home and paying NOTHING, while their mother pay everything.

Remember, this job is a stepping stone, encourage her, I worked at Dart Drug, CVS, 16 plus, Mothercare maternity store and various other places.

Encourage her, the next step...an office job...she can do it...

Valued Contributor

Good for her! At 16 I cleaned toilets and sweep out 4 h camp to.get the burnt orange midi coat I wanted. I was Also a car hop(no roller skates, thank God).You learn life lessons, with getting to know what you want to do, growing up but not to much at a time.
Trusted Contributor

Congrats to your hard working daughter! I love positive posts and reading great things like this!
Respected Contributor

It's been quite an experience with the job.

She graduates from college just when the economy tanks. Can't find ANY job for forever.

She FINALLY gets this one. It's minimum wage and hard work.

So, she'll make a few dollars an hour more and get benefits, which she really needed.

I think (and told her this) that "management" experience is a resume enhancer along the line. At first, she balked at me saying "never."

So, never is now! I am prepared for a slew of NEW upsets, as that's how she usually is with new situations, the autistic spectrum disorder and all.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Good luck to your daughter, just keep giving her encouraging words she is doing fine and she will keep it up. This should be a real morale booster to her to keep on working hard. If she gets her benefits coverage this should also be a help to you and your hubby. that is a lot of money to have to pay out every month. Tell her we all wish the best for her.

Respected Contributor

Good for her. This will look wonderful on her resume.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York