Frequent Contributor

Re: My Friend Talks Endlessly About Her Son (Update & Advice, Please!)

I have a friend with THREE PERFECT SONS - so always something to brag about and dominate the conversation. Just recently she asked "How was your Christmas?" but before I (or anyone else) could answer, she started in on how great her Christmas was - "my sons were sooooo generous with me. but they always are."

I'm only with her in a group and one in that group is going thru a difficult time with her son and another with her daughter. Yet this person is so insensitive to their situations. Hurts my feelings for those other friends.

I have also used the technique with this gal that when she has spent 10 minutes bragging about one of her boys, I immediately change the subject without a comment as to what was just said. I can tell she notices.

Esteemed Contributor

For those of you who have never been in this situation, it is very difficult to understand how hard it is to break up the flow. Almost impossible. These people don't seem to give you a pause so you can say anything. I swear it makes your eyes glaze.

Respected Contributor

Those are funny stories! Now I know I'm not alone in my tale of woe! I've often wondered if I can FEEL my facial expression change from happy to dread, she's gotta SEE it, right?? The eyes glazing over is exactly right.

You girls are great! Thank you so much!

Super Contributor

On 1/7/2015 BarbiHollywood said:

Thank you, all, for understanding. It seems we've all had similar friendships and situations. I'm so happy that you've given me such great advice. I will keep my eyes on this forum for more posts, and I will post an update as things unfold. I do suspect that I will simply let this situation fade into the sunset. The maintenance, on my part, of this particular friendship is more work than I have time and energy for.

THANKS!!!!

This is exactly the conclusion I came to recently with a friend of mine. I tried the "quickly changing the subject" for a while but it was too exhausting so I have just been "too busy" lately to see her or talk to her. It's sad but sometimes we develop different interests or different priorities and it becomes hard to relate to that person anymore.

Trusted Contributor

I know you said you tried the no talking about the kids thing. Maybe you could title whatever thing you do as the "no kids"lunch ,dinner ,etc.

Can you tell her: I miss YOU.I want to know about today. I feel that talk about your son monopolizes my time with you.