Valued Contributor

I get what the OP is saying, but, at the same time, why should all mothers day sentiment be downplayed simply because not everyone can share it? It seems to me to be a case of someone in the minority being offended by the majority. No, not everybody enjoys Mother's Day for whatever reason, but don't take away the joy of giving and receiving good wishes simply because it doesn't apply to YOU.

Honored Contributor

🌹 Every day is Mother's Day 🌹

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

Zita, sorry if you misunderstood my post.  I never suggested we do away with Mothers Day because not all have warm fuzzy feelings that day.  If you noticed I actually told those who have good experiences that day to enjoy it all.  My only intention was to reach out to those who may be having a difficult time of it.  I also never said anyone was offended by the concept of a day to celebrate motherhood, although some may be offended by the companies that try to make money off of it.  

Super Contributor

Also a sad day for those of us who wanted to become a mother but were unable to conceive....

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 what a lovely comment.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Respected Contributor

@Kardi wrote:

Zita, sorry if you misunderstood my post.  I never suggested we do away with Mothers Day because not all have warm fuzzy feelings that day.  If you noticed I actually told those who have good experiences that day to enjoy it all.  My only intention was to reach out to those who may be having a difficult time of it.  I also never said anyone was offended by the concept of a day to celebrate motherhood, although some may be offended by the companies that try to make money off of it.  

It's a little hard to believe your only intention was as you stated.  Maybe you should go back and really read your words.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Valued Contributor

Perhaps you should retread my words.  Since you of course don't know me, let me enlighten you a bit.  I, personally have no problem with the holiday.  I happen to have an intact family.  I have been fortunate enough to still have my 2 adult daughters nearby with their children.  I've never lost a child.  My 88 year old mother lives 5 minutes away and I see her frequently.  However I have watched friends and family who haven't been so fortunate.  My best friend lost her son on his 21st birthday, my cousin, with whom I am very close, lost her 32 year old 8 month pregnant daughter to suicide.  Most of my friends have buried their moms.  This is a tough time for them and I feel for them.  I know there are many other women like them.  As I said in my original post, if your day is filled with loving hugs and gifts and happiness, congrats and please enjoy it.  But count your blessings and remember not everyone is like you.  There but for the grace of God, go I.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I just wish I still had a mom to whom I could give an overly emotional and  gushy tribute.  She's gone but I too, miss my mom every day.

Not only is my mom gone but so is my only child, so there will be no tributes at my house, sadly.  I don't begrudge any mom her Mother's Day tributes because I know she earned them.

@Dear @Kachina, Your post truly touched my heart.  Like you, I miss my mom every day.  It has been six years now, and what I would give to have only one more day with her.  

It breaks my heart to see someone lose a child.  It isn't supposed to be that way, isn't it?  Having known a few people who have gone through this, I have only a tiny glimpse of what it is like.  It makes me appreciate every day, as there are no guarantees.

Everyone copes with loss in different ways.  On your part, fostering and caring for dogs without a home and love is to be greatly admired.  Yes, there are different definitions of "mothers."  I have a dear friend living in the west who never married or had a child.  But she was a teacher her entire working life and certainly "mothered" many children.  I acknowledge this on this occasion, and I always send cards to everyone on Valentine's Day who are alone.  Even a "thinking of you" card is always appreciated.  Thinking of you!

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

There's no shortage of marketing tactics to get your last dollar out of your pockets. Buy this card or gift and your life will be instantly transformed! You didn't get diamonds? Tune into the shopping channels if you got skunked!

Maybe I'm too cynnical but even churches now seem to get into the day if you are lonely enough. Spend it with us, oh, and toss your hard earned $ in the collection plate.

We've gone simple around here. A nice breakfast at home and skip the crowds, the hoopla and the expense.

Churches have "gotten into it" for as long as I can remember. 

I've been to a lot of churches and no one has EVER told people to put money into the collection box.  And actually, A LOT of people DO NOT put money in, so there is no shame in not doing so.

Some can't afford it, others donate yearly or monthly by check, bypassing the collection plate.

Churches have to keep up their building and pay the people who work there, like the custodians.

There is no reason to trash churches for Mother's Day.

Honored Contributor

Mother's Day was difficult for me after my mother died.  I've found a few ways to make it easier... I put several photos of her on the mantel, as a child, as a young adult and a photo of her when I was little.

I make some of her favorite recipes and I tell my daughter what she was like, stories I like to remember.

I still miss her every day, but it does get less painful as time goes by.