Valued Contributor

Doesn't it seem odd and unfortunate that we should feel sad and not happy leading up to Mothers Day?   I'll bet dads don't feel that way before Fathers Day.

Contributor

I received a phone call from my daughter (only child) a couple days ago and she said that she wasn't sending flowers to me for Mother's Day because it was too expensive.  She also said she expected the same from me...for me NOT to send her anything.  We are going to celebrate Mother's Day, her birthday, the birth of her step-sister's newborn son, and Memorial Day on 05-21 when we host a family barbeque on that date.  She said she would bring flowers to me on that date, if I needed/wanted them.  So, while hearing all that, I was initially disappointed BUT upon thinking about it....I am okay with this.  Mother's Day has always been disappointing to me because of "high expectations" and hype of the holiday.  I told her it was okay and that if I needed flowers, I will buy my own.  I had been thinking about what I would do for her on Mother's Day and now the problem is solved....nothing.  I did order a large bouquet for my mother in law and announced this to my husband who was busy on his computer.  He nodded.  She is almost 90 and deserves this as she sits in her recliner in the retirement home she resides in.  

I have read all the different posts on this blog and I'm glad I did, it's put things into perspective for me.  So, on Sunday, I will think about my own mother who has been gone for 20 years and then will continue with my life.  I know I have been the best mother and daughter that I could be and that is that.

Honored Contributor

My entire life Mother's Day was such a big day in our family.  We all went to the same church (aunts, uncles, cousins ect..) and usually had lunch together afterward most Sundays.  We did not go to the same church with our Grandmother and her Mom my Great Grandmother.  However, they met us at our favorite family restaurant where we always rented the special room and had lunch.  Loved wearing the red carnation for my Mom still living and only one white carnation in the bunch on my Great Grandmother's dress.  Of course that all changed as time went by.

As a Mom myself we still celebrated with family and lunch out but on a smaller scale. 

Now there is nothing to it my son and his family live away so we celebrated last week-end when I went down.  If he thinks to call me on the actual day that would be a miracle.  For some reason boys are not as good about that stuff as girls.

My Mom passed in 2013 just days after Mother's Day, so I do understand all the sadness now.  I have beautiful memories and great family photos of the M. Day's all the way to the 1960's.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

Since I was a child we always got together for mothers Day also.  I would go with my dad to a nursery and buy big potted hydrangeas for my grandmas and mom.  As a young adult my husband and I had little money raising 2 kids, but always bought a card and gift for our moms and visited them.  Later, my MIL moved out of state, but I still sent a card and gift.  Some years we did a girls brunch.  My mom is 88 and although I may not feel like it, I invited the whole family, brother, sister, children, nieces, nephews, grandkids to dinner.  I just can't NOT do it.  How do I know this won't be my moms last Mothers Day.  

Valued Contributor

Noel7- I think you are celebrating your mother in such a beautiful way with your daughter. Happy Mother's Day! 

Respected Contributor

You are a fur baby mom. Pets are family right. Fur baby moms are important too. Enjoy the day.

Contributor

I think about my mother every day. She was a beautiful lady. I tried to emulate her while raising my three sons. My husband made sure I had "memorable" Mother's Days that I still laugh about. Now that my sons are grown with their own families, I have one who sends me flowers, one who sends a card or phones, and the third has nothing to do with me any more. He won't even send me an e-mail. That's why this day is bittersweet for me.   I really don't look forward to Mother's Day any more. Our relationship is complicated, and it may never be resolved. Enough said about that.  But I have two very loving sons who take time to tell me they love me, and I thank God for that.  God bless all mothers!

Honored Contributor

My Mother was an "Angel" on this earthHeart I miss her every dayHeart

But I also, think about my birth Mother that was 16 years old when she gave me up for adoption. Having a child in 1952 was looked down on by people.

It was a blessing for me and I pray that her life was blessedHeart