Contributor

My nephew got married a month ago to a lovely young lady who has most of her family in India. 

So so they got married and had their reception in Seattle, where they both live, and his side of the family and friends could go. The following weekend, they had a reception in Virginia for her relatives/friends and a lot of her family came from India. The Virginia reception was Indian 

i thought it was was a great way to celebrate so that everyone who wanted to be there, could be there. 

Just a suggestion. 

Valued Contributor

@NEvans2 wrote:

Is there a reason why you can't go to the wedding? If your husband can't fly there, wouldn't he want you to be there? I know it wouldn't be the same without him, but it would be a shame if you both missed the wedding.

It's complicated for several reasons: our health, our finances,  their work schedules.  They are having a simple ceremony, not religious, and have to work around visas, etc. (She's American, he's South African.) I have resigned myself to these facts, but thank you all for your many words of encouragement. Sometimes life is what it is.

Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry that this is happening to you.  I can only imagine the mixed emotions you're experiencing.

Is it possible for you to attend?  I know it's not ideal, but, perhaps it would help.

Hopefully the couple will visit the US shortly afterward and you and your family will be able to celebrate in person.  I wish you all the best!

Honored Contributor

@Colinka, Can someone there make a movie of it and get it to you?  Sorry you can't be there, but I bet you're so proud of her!!! She's so lucky to be able to experience this in her life.  I bet she'll have lots of stuff to tell you about that area.  Best of luck to you all. Cheers!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Mother of the Bride

[ Edited ]

@Colinka  I am surprised your daughter does not want to marry in her home town.  I feel for you because her mother & father are the most important people.and won't be at the wedding.  That is another surprise.  Did you ask her why she did not marry in the U.S.?  I guess all you can do is grin and bear it.  Take care of you.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I think that's fairly common now that people relocate all over the world and family and friends are far flung.   My friend's daughter is getting married here in MA in October.  The groom relocated here for work and has been here for less than two years.  He grew up in OH and his mom, who is battling a serious illness and other family and his h.s. friends live there.  He went to college and lived in TX for 10 years.  That is what he considers to be "home".   So, they will celebrate their wedding 3 times.  The church wedding and an informal reception here.  A week later, they travel to OH where his aunts have planned and will host a reception for them.  After spending a few days in OH, they will honeymoon in TX where his long time friends will host a reception for them.  They are paying part of the costs for this one and have requested donations to their favorite charity in lieu of wedding gifts.  Honestly, when the bride told me this, my head was spinning but she loved the idea because this way, they get to celebrate with all their friends and family wherever they are and they don't have put people through the expense of travelling to a wedding.  They are 30ish so most of their friends are married and have small children.  The bride also gets to wear her wedding gown three times and really likes that idea because she loves that dress so much.

Esteemed Contributor

I feel bad for you and I hope things work out....

Esteemed Contributor

Our niece recntly married last month and they had three receptions to accouomate both sides of the families plus their new home where their friends were living. I thought it was a bit confusing but I couls also see the practical side of it.   

Frequent Contributor

I understand your sadness . It feels like grief. Your hopes and dreams of decades have been  unexpectantly washed away.  A similar event happened to me. 

My only child decided to have her wedding 1000 mi. away. We talked about decorations, food flowers  etc.  I have had some major  health issues and hoped I could make it

I made her dress and expected to share the preparations  and mother -daughter  love ,but  after  a long drive ,we arrive to find her mother in law and friends were already deep into it with  her but no time for her parents. I t was like a sorority party for 37 yr olds. My daughter seemed to avoid us even though we were always close. She  had not even 15 min. for us. We are still devastated. We gave her the best, often to our detriment but she did not want to be with us at her wedding but moved in with us after college until she got her career going. So what happened? 

Spoiled or just self centered. Indifferent to us “just wanted to have fun”. Parents project their love  instead of believing what they actually see. 

In short, she  does not love us as much as we loved her.  Death of a dream for us. Nothing will ever be the same.

I hope you fare better.

Respected Contributor
I’m on the flip side. I’m 45 and a second time bride. My mother is refusing to participate in any planning. My niece is planning her wedding for a few months after mine. She doesn’t have nearly the budget I do. My mother feels like I’m flaunting what I have and am upstaging my niece on purpose. I live 400 miles from them and haven’t been on speaking terms with my brother in years. No one in my family except my mother has any idea what I’m planning.

My future father-in-law took me shopping for a dress. I’ve really enjoyed getting to know him better.