Frequent Contributor

Re: Moms,do you have a 11 or 12 year old daughter, your thoughts and experience

Am I correct in saying that the vaccine does not need to be given at age 12? Would it be ok to wait until she turned 16?

Occasional Contributor

Coming out of lurking to say my 2 daughters got the shot at ages 13 and 14. My stepsister had cervical cancer from the hpv virus at 30 years old suffered for 10 years till she died at 40. Was so glad when this vaccine came out. Daughters are now 19 and 21. Have suffered no side effects.

On a side note, make sure you get all 3 shots done in the time frame the doctor gives you. We didn't, we let too much time pass between the first 2 shots so we had to start all over again/. They had to have 4 shots total.. Oh boy the girls were not happy about that!

Super Contributor

On 4/12/2014 BonnieBelle said:
On 4/11/2014 Clover29 said:
On 4/11/2014 ccassaday said:

The reason this is controversial is that this cancer is a std.People believe it gives teens permission to be promiscuous.

Parents are responsible for bringing up their own children with whatever moral standards they desire. Twelve years of ""promiscuity is a bad thing"" in-house training isn't going to be washed away by one vaccination.

What stupid posts!!

What's your problem with my post?

Super Contributor

On 4/12/2014 BonnieBelle said:
On 4/11/2014 Clover29 said:
On 4/11/2014 ccassaday said:

The reason this is controversial is that this cancer is a std.People believe it gives teens permission to be promiscuous.

Parents are responsible for bringing up their own children with whatever moral standards they desire. Twelve years of "promiscuity is a bad thing" in-house training isn't going to be washed away by one vaccination.

What stupid posts!!

You may think the post is "stupid", but what Clover said is true.

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Contributor

My 21 year old got it when she was about 14. My 12 year old will be receiving it as well. Oldest daughter had some tenderness in injection site and said the vaccine felt "weird" going in, but nothing else. Definitely believe the benefit outweighs the discomfort of injection and the possibility of the side effects.

Valued Contributor

I'm not a mother, but I would like to say something about this topic. I am 43 and have fought multiple reoccurrences of a cancerous HPV strain. I wish this vaccine has existed 30+ years ago. HPV is the most highly communicated STI. My first diagnosis was at 18, and the result of an assault. HPV does not equal promiscuity. Every reoccurrence of the infection, every biopsy, and every cryosurgery is very traumatic. A terrible gift that keeps on giving. No one needs an unnecessary cancer scare, and that's what the vaccine is designed to prevent. No one needs to meet with an oncologist and be told its standard procedure to cut out part of your cervix for a biopsy every year or two for the rest of your life when a simple series of shots could prevent it. Boys need it too. Even a condom doesn't completely guarantee safety. They could get the STI from their wives. Many people carry dormant infections for years. Only an active infection is identifiable, Treatment for penile cancer involves removal.
Regular Contributor

On 4/12/2014 januarybaby said:

Am I correct in saying that the vaccine does not need to be given at age 12? Would it be ok to wait until she turned 16?

At the time DD got the vaccination they were not yet giving it to boys, but they were saying to give it to the girls early because they needed to have never had any sexual contact for it to be effective. I believe that was the reason for the 12-13 year old range. I believe that now anyone can get the vaccination. My cousin had her daughters get vaccinated well after they became active. I believe they received their vaccinations around age 25.

And for the poster who thinks it gives permission to do whatever they want? Well, DD was a virgin then, and still is today at 21; she will be (by her choice) when she gets married July 2015. One shot doesn't wash away what you've taught them from day one. JMO.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, my daughter received the vaccination. No regrets.
Honored Contributor

I have two granddaughters 11 and 12 years old. I don't remember what my daughter said about that.

Come to think of it I will ask her.

I don't understand about it. What it does.

Super Contributor

On 4/12/2014 imashopper said:
On 4/12/2014 januarybaby said:

At the time DD got the vaccination they were not yet giving it to boys, but they were saying to give it to the girls early because they needed to have never had any sexual contact for it to be effective. I believe that was the reason for the 12-13 year old range. I believe that now anyone can get the vaccination. My cousin had her daughters get vaccinated well after they became active. I believe they received their vaccinations around age 25.

And for the poster who thinks it gives permission to do whatever they want? Well, DD was a virgin then, and still is today at 21; she will be (by her choice) when she gets married July 2015. One shot doesn't wash away what you've taught them from day one. JMO.

I don't think cassaday was saying she thought it gave permission. My understanding was that she was playing devil's advocate, saying "some people" (but not necessarily her) thought that.

I asked earlier in the thread, about what reasons anyone could possibly have for thinking this vaccination was a bad idea. I believe cassaday was answering my question, rather than stating her own opinion.

cassaday, please chime in if I read you incorrectly.