Frequent Contributor

Re: Mom is in hospital, fell and has memory loss...... UPDATE

OP, please talk to an eldercare attorney.  The consultation may be free.  Right now your Mom doesn't qualify for Medicaid, but there are things that can be done to save some of her money and get her qualified for Medicare.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mom is in hospital, fell and has memory loss

[ Edited ]

UNfortunately you might have to face up to the idea that she cannot remain in her own home.  ONce a elderly person starts frequent falls it is very difficult to return to full mobility.  THey just do not usually bounce back to anything close to 100% of their pre fall functionality.  YOu may have to look at a long term facility for her.  YOu indicate that finances are not unlimited to pay for this kind of care.  ACtually having a health care aide come in for 8-9 hours a day can be as expensive as a long term care facility.  DOes your mother own her home?  CAn it be sold to pay for her care?

PUtting her back in her own home with the same level of care she was getting prior to her first fall with you checking on her every day and getting help once a week is obviously no longer sufficient in her current condition.  I fully understand your desire to fulfill her wishes and allow her to remain in her home but I do not think you are doing her any favors.  YOu are hoping that things can go back to the way they were before her first hospital stay and it seems that is no longer possible.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mom is in hospital, fell and has memory loss...... UPDATE

I believe the OP is talking about Medi-Cal in California which is  free or low-cost health coverage for children and adults with limited income and resources.