Esteemed Contributor

Re: Minor difference of opinion with my DIL

No advice from me, you already got plenty of good ideas from others. Just want to say, it's the too tight socks that upset me. How many cute little chubby legs I've seen hanging out of grocery cart seats with elastic topped socks squeezing their little chubbiness to death. I'm always tempted to reach out and pull those suckers down around their ankles.Those poor kids must have sock indentations on their legs for hours once they're peeled off.

Honored Contributor

Sounds to me like her mind is made up and she thinks she is right. Since she is the mother she will do as she pleases. 

Esteemed Contributor

The best thing I learned from my wonderful MIL was to butt out.  Complaining to DS and checking with daycare does not make you look good.  Think back to your own MIL.  

Honored Contributor

I think she is sick on the size 12 months and she thinks since he is 12 months they should fit. Not all children are the same sze or weight at the same time in their life

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is very strange to me...size does not go by age and I think she knows that. I am wondering if her Mom, sisters, or friends are in her life. She has to see other kids and what they are wearing.

I know I would definitely tell my daughter and probably my DIL too. If she doesn't do the obvious right thing by sizing up...I guess there isn't much else you can do..unfortunately.

added

I have 2 grandsons under 3 and they complain when their pants are tight in the crotch or the seat belt in the car seat is too tight in that area.

I hope your little guys clothes are not making him feel uncomfortable.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bubby Mommy , some people here have dealt with it in a very low key way by returning the child with new clothes on.  Do something like that.  Don’t give her the new clothes all at once.  You are grandmother, not mother.  Your DS has the right attitude.  It is her department, not yours.  I am sure my MIL bit her tongue many times with me.  Do the same for your DIL.  In the long run, it makes for a better relationship.  LM

Honored Contributor

Like many stated, just put on something you bought when he goes home.  If she asks why you could wash what she had on him and say he got his clothes dirty.  I wouldn't mention it because it would set a negative tone for your relationship with her for the rest of your lives! 

Respected Contributor

When DH and I were first engaged, my mother made us promise to tell her if she ever became an interfering mother-in-law.  It wasn't until she became a Grandmother that I had to ask her to back off a little.  Now that I am in her position, I understand how difficult it can be to keep quiet, even if intentions are only good.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Super Contributor

I think she will figure it out, without input from you.  Moms tend to get together and compare notes.  This is an age when moms want to know the ages of each 'first', what they are eating, and what size they are wearing.  Moms also judge each other.  If it is as bad as you say, the other mothers will find a way to let her know.  

The very last thing you should do is buy clothes, especially when she has told you how she feels.  As a mom, I would have been furious, especially if my baby came home in different clothes.  I don't know if she is cheap or what, but you need to stay in your own lane.  I understand your frustration.  I am sure I would be frustrated as well.  (It sounds to me like there is something more to this than just the clothes.)  Please don't make your son choose between the two of you.  That never works out well.  On the bright side, those 12 mos. clothes won't be on him much longer.  One of my sons wore 24 mos. when he turned a year old.  He was very tall.

Frequent Contributor

Give the clothes minus the tags too to the baby momma, keep the receipt at your house.