Occasional Contributor

Re: Milk or no milk for preschooler?

When my son was young, his doctor said cows milk is for baby cows.

He said the dairy industry and the "milk does a body good" was marketing.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always wondered what is all the FORTIFIED in everything.  What are vitamins and iron and minerals made of to make them better than the REAL food.  I can tell that this Mama's breastmilk would not have been the better choice of breast or cow milk.  My firstborn went from formula to whole milk at 1month and baby cereal at 2 months.  The second born was on formula for quite awhile.  Why is taking a Vitamin D better than being out in the sun.  Maybe we get skin cancer inside our bodies from having the D absorbed that way, since we get skin cancers from taking from the outside.

Salt isn't good for you, but my doctor keeps telling me I need more salt.

Like said previously, "they" change their minds, like we do our season outfits.   Just my weird thoughts and opinions-tedEbear

Valued Contributor

The main thing is getting enough nutrients.  If that has been verified, I wouldn't worry about it.  I used to work in a outpatient clinic and I did see a child come in with rickets.  I had thought rickets was obsolete.  Rare to see because of vitamin D fortifcation in many foods but it was heartbreaking to tell the parents that their "healthy food choices" did not include enough of the needed nutrients. 

Respected Contributor

I always drink milk (skim or low fat).  It's a good source of protein and calcium and a wonderful addition to the diet of the majority of people who are not lactose intolerant.  I read that very young children should not have skim milk because the fat is good for their development.  I'm so tired of the demonization of foods without legitimate evidence.  Crackpot science!

Honored Contributor

Ask her to talk to the pediatrician. Milk contains essential nutrients for kids under two especially. If there is some objection to milk the doctor will tell her how to compensate.
Esteemed Contributor

My children, my husband, and I love milk.  I consider it an important food.

Honored Contributor

If I was raising my son today I would not give him cows milk simply because there are much better alternatives. I do not drink cows milk, but when I bake I use buttermilk and we do eat butter , cheese and yogurt in small amounts.

Frequent Contributor

Keep in mind milk is breast milk for calves 😱. It was never designed for human consumption. Most all our foods are vitamin fortified. You can get calcium from many other sources, Vit D from sunshine. I only have almond or cashew milk.