Respected Contributor

Re: Milk or no milk for preschooler?

Watch Udderly Amazing.  While it may seem a little out there, a lot of what he says makes sense.  Cow milk is for cow babies.  Human milk has what human babies need and even then, we all get to the point where our system does not digest/absorb the calcium in it anymore.

I drank milk all of my formative years at each meal.  And Mom breastfed all of us.  I now have to take calcium supplements because my bones aren't as strong as they should be.  If millk made our bones healthy and strong, mine should be as strong as a fortress wall, sadly, they're not.

I drink a splash of milk sometimes in my coffee, have cheese and yogurt occasionally.  But if you're drinking milk in the hopes that it will make your bones stay strong as you age, you might be disappointed.  I think Vitamin D is very important and a lot of folks don't even know their D level.  I think that's just as or more important than mega doses of calcium.  JMHO

Respected Contributor

My daughter, now in her 20's, has always loved milk.  She continues to drink fat free milk every day.

I am not opposed to milk for children.  I think it is a great source of calcium and Vitamin D.

Calcium for children's rapidly growing bones is necessary.  A relative of mine actually had rickets from lack of calcium and vitamin D.

There are other sources of calcium, so kids can get it elsewhere if parents are careful.  Milk is a great source though.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

I was given a lot of milk as a child, now I rarely have any for health reasons.  Some cheese and some for cooking, but now I have almond milk on cereal.

My daughter is lactose intolerant, I didn't understand for a long time why she refused milk as a child. 

It is said that up to 70% of the world's children are lactose intolerant.  Some can handle it later in life, but not the majority.

Honored Contributor

Calcium Rich Food

Produce         

Serving Size

Estimated Calcium*

Collard greens, frozen

8 oz

360 mg

Broccoli rabe

8 oz

200 mg

Kale, frozen

8 oz

180 mg

Soy Beans, green, boiled

8 oz

175 mg

Bok Choy, cooked, boiled

8 oz

160 mg

Figs, dried

2 figs

65 mg

Broccoli, fresh, cooked

8 oz

60 mg

Oranges

1 whole

55 mg

Seafood

Serving Size

Estimated Calcium*

Sardines, canned with bones

3 oz

325 mg

Salmon, canned with bones

3 oz

180 mg

Shrimp, canned

3 oz

125 mg

And

Fortified Food

Serving Size

Estimated Calcium*

Almond milk, rice milk or soy milk, fortified

8 oz

300 mg

Orange juice and other fruit juices, fortified

8 oz

300 mg

Tofu, prepared with calcium

4 oz

205 mg

Waffle, frozen, fortified

2 pieces

200 mg

Oatmeal, fortified

1 packet

140 mg

English muffin, fortified

1 muffin

100 mg

Cereal, fortified

I left out dairy because so many can't have it and it is not good for anyone who has ever had heart issues or has those issues in the family, also anyone with diabetes.

Complete list here:

http://nof.org/articles/886

Honored Contributor

I've read that any leafy greens supply a lot of calcium.

We have them every day: salads, kale, spinach leaves, and arugula are our favorites.

It's not that hard to get the calcium we need.

Honored Contributor

My kids have never had cow's milk.  We started with rice milk, but we use almond milk now. 

My neices would drink milk all day long.  One the youngest started having asthma issues and I brought up the fact that dairy contributes to asthma, my SIL laughed it off.  Finally she got them off milk, and my neice no longer has asthma. 

All of my friends' that had girls couldn't understand why their kids got their periods so early.  I said it had something to do with all the milk they drank. 

Some people drink it and have no effects. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Rice has lead in it (I think it's lead isn't it?) and almonds I'm sure are raised on trees and sprayed with something.   I am not afraid of milk.  I know too many people who have lived a long long time on it. 

I respect everyone choosing their diet, whether or not I agree with them. And sometimes the old and tested things really are all right for most people.

And I just have to point out that eggs were good, then bad, then not so bad. Caffiene was bad, then not so bad. Sugar was bad, and substituted with chemicals, then seemed not so bad, relatively, and in small amounts. Butter was bad, then decided it was much better than margarine. And on it goes.

The nutritional community continually changes what they 'think' of various foods and suppliments, their advantages and their harm. I feel anything in moderation isn't going to kill most of us, or cause us harm. 

Kids do need a lot of calcium, and if it were me, I'd ask the parents about how and where the kids get their calcium and how much, but in a way that doesn't seem like you are judging or questioning their parenting. More like you are trying to learn what the new ways are, and you might just learn something that you would transfer into your own diet. You might also be pointing out something that is lacking, and they hadn't thought about it or hadn't really dealt with it, and could motivate them to further investigate.

Honored Contributor

It's all about variety of healthy foods for a diet.  Different choices can get most of us to the same healthy place in life.

Respected Contributor

Yes, whole milk only in our house.  I drink Organics Valley or Horizon.  Both are supplied by local farmers I believe.

Esteemed Contributor

A friend's children are not milk drinkers.  They may it with cereal but that's about it.  They do eat cheese and yogurt.