Valued Contributor

Milk or no milk for preschooler?

I am old school and drank milk with 2-3 meals each day when I was a child.  It is strange when I am at my DD's house, taking care of my DGD, that there is no milk in the frig.  I am aware that there is calcium in other foods but no milk in the frig is hard to get used to.  I do wish then, that my DGD took a multivitamin.  I know my DGD is well cared for and I may be concerned when I needn't be.  What are your thoughts?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Milk or no milk for preschooler?

We don't drink milk in our home.  Milk contains a lot of hormones and has been linked to prostate cancer and other medical problems.  Dairy is a common allergen in kids.  We eat other forms of dairy in moderation and I never fed my developing children milk personally.  It is high in calories too.  We drink water.

Honored Contributor

I always buy the hormone-free milk.  I love milk.  

Trusted Contributor

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

We don't drink milk in our home.  Milk contains a lot of hormones and has been linked to prostate cancer and other medical problems.  Dairy is a common allergen in kids.  We eat other forms of dairy in moderation and I never fed my developing children milk personally.  It is high in calories too.  We drink water.

What did you serve your developing children to ensure they were getting enough calcium and vitamin D?  

Trusted Contributor

Milk is full of hormones from the lactating cow.  It isn't added artificially.  

Trusted Contributor

Developing children need a significant amount of calcium to build strong bones, muscles, and teeth.  That calcium doesn't have to come from milk.  I wouldn't be concerned unless your grandchildren also aren't getting enough from other sources.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

To the OP:  have you asked your daugher why she doesn't have milk at home?  Maybe she has a good reason.  Ask DD about the multivitamin. 

My thoughts are similar to yours (I was raised on lots of milk) but I know my granddaughter is lactose intolerant and can only drink that special milk.  Grandson doesn't like milk much so he has 1 glass a day but my DIL does give multivitams and buys orange juice with calcium.

Respected Contributor

Our granddaughter is not much of a milk drinker either although she loves yougurt and cheese!

Honored Contributor

Trusted Contributor

@scotnovel wrote:

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

What did you serve your developing children to ensure they were getting enough calcium and vitamin D?  

We probably eat healthier than the average household, but I will say that we ate/eat foods fortified with calcium, as well as cheeses and yogurts, and I've always supplemented with Vitamin D.  I personally take a pretty high dose of vitamin D.  Rice milk and almond milks are what we buy.  Lower calorie, no hormones, and fortified with vitamins.  We put that on cereals what are also fortified.  And we drink water with meals.

I don't want to sound critical of anyone who enjoys having milk, but I do not personally view milk as a "health food".