Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I agree with things like this only to a point. 

I find these kinds of sayings, attitudes, and mantras are often used by people who don't tend to the things that need tending, and are looking for an excuse as to why certain things aren't done. 

This one in particular is perfect, if you are putting your kids first, but remembering that the rest of the things mentioned, still have to be done. 

Being a good parent is putting the evening ritual of bath, play, stories BEFORE dishes and floors in the priority chain, but isn't about using the kids as a reason to not do the real work of making them a good home and showing them that things like housework still have a place in the line of daily priorities and need done. 

I found that including the child in those kinds of chores every day was a learning experience for them and bonding time as you work together. Combine doing such daily chores with the stoy time, and you actually get to spend even more quality time with your kids.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're a very asture person; I agree with just about everything you mentioned.

Esteemed Contributor

Well said @Mominohio.....

Trusted Contributor

So true!

No one ever laid on their deathbed and thought to themselves, gee I wish I'd spent more time at the office and less with my children.

Respected Contributor

My Son always came first.....and he knew it....he still does... and so do my grandkids,I love this picture,had to share , yesterdays fishing trip

Image may contain: 2 people, child, outdoor, nature and water

Honored Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

My Son always came first.....and he knew it....he still does... and so do my grandkids,I love this picture,had to share , yesterdays fishing trip

Image may contain: 2 people, child, outdoor, nature and water

@fourpaws56  What beautiful grandchildren! You must be a proud Grandma. Thank you for sharing.

Respected Contributor

I was a stay at home mom to 3 children.   I tried to juggle children plus, cooking, cleaning, laundry, Dr.'s appts. and later on, school.  At one time they were in 3 different schools.  I had no help.  We lived 500 to 1,000 plus miles away from our families, so when we were all sick with the flu it was me who still had to function.  My husband wouldn't leave the office.  No one came to help when each baby was born.  There were days when the children had plenty of attention, others, not so much. We always had morning activities and evening bed time stories.  I wish I had the ability to sit and hold them, read books and play all day;  I couldn't.  Someone had to prepare meals, do the laundry and clean the house.  I had to do everything.  

Trusted Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

I was a stay at home mom to 3 children.   I tried to juggle children plus, cooking, cleaning, laundry, Dr.'s appts. and later on, school.  At one time they were in 3 different schools.  I had no help.  We lived 500 to 1,000 plus miles away from our families, so when we were all sick with the flu it was me who still had to function.  My husband wouldn't leave the office.  No one came to help when each baby was born.  There were days when the children had plenty of attention, others, not so much. We always had morning activities and evening bed time stories.  I wish I had the ability to sit and hold them, read books and play all day;  I couldn't.  Someone had to prepare meals, do the laundry and clean the house.  I had to do everything.  

================================================

Good on you; it sounds like you did the best you could and I think you did a fine job. Three children is a LOT; 8 months after my first was born I knew I couldn't handle any more and I can only imagine how much taking care of 3 children require.

Occasional Contributor

Re: MAKE TIME FOR YOUR KIDS

[ Edited ]

That's so true. Children grow up so fast. Lets love, hug, kiss and pamper them a little more. I am a working woman and always wish that I could spend a little more time with my 5 year old daughter.