Honored Contributor

7317D46A-B0F9-47F6-860D-188DFAB4C898.jpeg

Honored Contributor

That's lovely

I would also like to add to hug any loved one.

Trusted Contributor

Beautiful post @Shanus.

My baby girl comes home from college tonight.

I will squeeze her soooo hard, touch her little face and just say "I simply love you!

Time passes by in an instant.  I sit back , in silence at times, reflect on how it truly does pass quickly.  Make memories and just BE in every moment. Even when your day has been hard, things are not going well that very day and you just want to pull up the covers over your head and hide......stop, pause, and get your beautiful self up and make memories.  At least thats the way I see things.

Honored Contributor

@softwarewrote:

That's lovely

I would also like to add to hug any loved one.

@software. Oh, definitely hug & kiss all loved ones (our furry friends, too).

Esteemed Contributor

Yes -- and I'll add -- learn to transition from mother of children to mother of adult children. Your adult children will thank you and actually call you ---

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jeanlakewrote:

Yes -- and I'll add -- learn to transition from mother of children to mother of adult children. Your adult children will thank you and actually call you ---

OMG that is so hard for me with having had only one child. 

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 This topic would be good for a new post, but yes, my counselor friend helped me transition from parent of child to parent of adult child. HUGE difference. Boundaries, respect, space, control issues, their respect for us, even the way we talk to our adult kids, continuing with our goals and dreams that do not include our children, frequency of reaching out to young adults and limit over advising. And I haven't even mentioned grandchildren....    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jeanlakeMy nieces husband is a psychologist and you can't have a conversation with him without him making it a session. That being said, I did learn a lot from him about boundaries and why my son reacts the way he does.

Respected Contributor

I always tried to make my boys come first. When summer came we went to the beach every nice day. If sand was on the floor from the day before I thought when it rains I will get to it. To this day they love the ocean. The only problem was one wouldn’t get out of the water. One more wave Mom and there always another wave.

Honored Contributor

I agree with things like this only to a point. 

I find these kinds of sayings, attitudes, and mantras are often used by people who don't tend to the things that need tending, and are looking for an excuse as to why certain things aren't done. 

This one in particular is perfect, if you are putting your kids first, but remembering that the rest of the things mentioned, still have to be done. 

Being a good parent is putting the evening ritual of bath, play, stories BEFORE dishes and floors in the priority chain, but isn't about using the kids as a reason to not do the real work of making them a good home and showing them that things like housework still have a place in the line of daily priorities and need done. 

I found that including the child in those kinds of chores every day was a learning experience for them and bonding time as you work together. Combine doing such daily chores with the stoy time, and you actually get to spend even more quality time with your kids.