Occasional Contributor

Hi, I see no one has posted for awhile. It’s been several years since we lost our adult son to cystic fibrosis. I still can’t seem to accept it. We are raising our granddaughter. That is what keeps me going. She was seven and turned fifteen recently. I’m going to start therapy tomorrow. I used to make appointments then cancel. I am going to really try this time. Has anyone had success with counseling?  I keep everyone here in my thoughts. 

Honored Contributor

@Magann wrote:

Hi, I see no one has posted for awhile. It’s been several years since we lost our adult son to cystic fibrosis. I still can’t seem to accept it. We are raising our granddaughter. That is what keeps me going. She was seven and turned fifteen recently. I’m going to start therapy tomorrow. I used to make appointments then cancel. I am going to really try this time. Has anyone had success with counseling?  I keep everyone here in my thoughts. 

@Magann   So sorry for your loss. I lost my younger brother suddenly to a stroke at 49. My parents grieved forever and never fully recovered. They refused counseling. His death changed our family dynamic. Wonderful decision to go for counseling. I applaud you. My folks passed away still grieving the loss of my brother...never came to terms with his death. 

Super Contributor

May his soul rest in peace. May God give you and your family the strength to deal with such irreparable loss.

Valued Contributor

Re: Losing an adult child

[ Edited ]

@Magann; As I have posted here before. I went to The Compassionate Friends Support Group. I went for about a year, after the death of my daughter in 2008. Going to the meetings really did help me a lot. I pray you fine Peace Heart

Occasional Contributor

Thank you everyone for responding. My heart goes out to all for we all understand. Losing an adult child is just as hard as losing a younger child. We’re not suppose to outlive our children. I look forward to the day I’m reunited with our son, but hopefully and only after we raise our granddaughter. We promised our son we would always be here for her. Little did we know at the time we’d be raising her. 🙂💕

Honored Contributor

My grandma outlived her three children, 2 husbands, 1 grandchild and 1 great grandchild.....she said the worst was losing her children..(adults) when they passed.  She was one tough cookie.

Honored Contributor

So sorry for your loss, my brother was struck by a car and killed when he was 4 years old. My poor Mother felt responsible and never got over my brother's death, we all suffered growing up because of it.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for sharing. And I share your grief. My deepest most sincerest heartfelt sympathy. Because I too lost my Adult 35 year old daughter and 4 months prior to her death ,lost my grandson, her child and so mother and baby are buried together. That was 12 years ago. She had an Asthma attack and the baby was premature. 

So I get it!

Occasional Contributor

Hi maggie568 and others,

Very sorry to hear about your daughter and grandson. I believe they are together again. I hope that gives you some comfort. Our son was 31 when he passed. It's been almost 10 years and I still can't handle it. I guess I never will. I had a sister we called Maggie. Her full name was Marguerite. She passed very tragically when she was only 45. Our son was 17 at the time and it was very hard on him. She was like a second mother to him and also had 2 boys of her own. I know she and our son are together again with parents/grandparents. Hope you are doing well. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Losing an adult child

[ Edited ]

@emmysmom wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I'm so very sorry for your loss.  I can't imagine anything worse than losing a child.

I worry about this a lot.  My son is on his 4th deployment now and it scares the heck out of me.  He's in direct danger a lot and worry all the time he's gone.  

Pray the 91st Psalm over him..day and night..No weapon formed against him will prosper! I read an article  about a unit that was in Afghanistan..they were under heavy gunfire and made it back to camp. None had been injured...they could see where all the bullet holes had torn through their vehicle..it was a miracle no one had been hurt. It seems they had been told to memorize the 91st Psalm and they kept a copy under their helmet! The prayer of protection!!! God is so good! xxx

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Psalms-Chapter-91/

My son and his troops are training for their 5th deployment.  I pray every day for him and his soldiers.