Honored Contributor

@henderson wrote:

Have you checked into term insurance?  I'd fine a good insurance agent to discuss this with.

@henderson

I don't think someone who is 79-1/2 and has many health issues could find an affordable term insurance plan.  I'd be lucky to find one at $5,000 for maybe five years.  And with my luck, I'd outlive that.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Has anyone noticed that the old people who talk about dying all the time are the ones who linger?  I always wonder why.  Maybe they are the ones who take care of their health?  Not a criticism, just an observation.

My son's MIL was on her "deathbed" for 15 years.  I was glad I acted like it was for real when she eventually did die.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

Has anyone noticed that the old people who talk about dying all the time are the ones who linger?  I always wonder why.  Maybe they are the ones who take care of their health?  Not a criticism, just an observation.

My son's MIL was on her "deathbed" for 15 years.  I was glad I acted like it was for real when she eventually did die.

@KarenQVC

I know, I talk about it all the time because I think about it all the time.  Maybe if I wasn't so physically limited, I wouldn't because, as so many people say, "I don't look sick."

I've been like this since my beloved sister died six years ago this coming August.  I can't believe how fast that time has gone.

I'll try to talk about it less, but I'll probably fail.  Just pass on by my posts, they must be irritating.  Comes down to I have nowhere else or no one else to discuss these things with.

Sorry. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Re: Life insurance

[ Edited ]

I wasn't being critical.  I just wonder if there is some mechanism that works to somehow ward off death or whatever.  Maybe people who worry go to the doctor more.  Just curious.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

I wasn't being critical.  I just wonder if there is some mechanism that works to somehow ward off death or whatever.  Maybe people who worry go to the doctor more.  Just curious.

@KarenQVC

I've noticed a pattern in myself (chicken and egg analogy).  I'll go a full year without seeing a doc, then something will surface, and when you see one doctor, you wind up seeing the others. 

My only "regular" docs are my PCP, my gastroenterologist, and my orthopedist.  I don't have a rheumatologist . . . they have never been able to help me.  I will be going to a dermatologist next month for only the second time since I came down with all of this stuff.

When I'm seeing doctors, more things happen and I am more focused on it, I guess.

Formerly Ford1224
Frequent Contributor

Hi Lilac Tree

Sorry if this info may have been passed on before.  Many pages and responses that I didn't read through.  I recently had to do a Medicaid filing for my Mom who is in a nursing home.  She had a large insurance policy with a cash value.  I don't know if that's the same as yours.  For many years, the premiums were consistent and then a few years ago the company said that dividends no longer covered the increase in the cost of the insurance.  Anyway, when Mom went to do the Medicaid filing, the cash value of her policy could be taken by the state if not protected in a trust for her.  If you think at some point you might need to be in assisted living or a long term care facility, that would be something to consider in your decision whether or not to keep paying the premiums. When Mom finally passes, whatever is left in her trust can be taken by Medicaid to pay the difference between what she pays for her monthly care and what the state pays.

On a happy note - there's a lilac tree next to my house and I love smelling it when I come home from work every day.  Love your name!

Honored Contributor

Re: Life insurance

[ Edited ]

@meglet wrote:

Hi Lilac Tree

Sorry if this info may have been passed on before.  Many pages and responses that I didn't read through.  I recently had to do a Medicaid filing for my Mom who is in a nursing home.  She had a large insurance policy with a cash value.  I don't know if that's the same as yours.  For many years, the premiums were consistent and then a few years ago the company said that dividends no longer covered the increase in the cost of the insurance.  Anyway, when Mom went to do the Medicaid filing, the cash value of her policy could be taken by the state if not protected in a trust for her.  If you think at some point you might need to be in assisted living or a long term care facility, that would be something to consider in your decision whether or not to keep paying the premiums. When Mom finally passes, whatever is left in her trust can be taken by Medicaid to pay the difference between what she pays for her monthly care and what the state pays.

On a happy note - there's a lilac tree next to my house and I love smelling it when I come home from work every day.  Love your name!

@meglet

Oh you lucky gal!!  How I wish I had a lilac tree close to my apartment. Love love love that aroma.

Your mom's life insurance policy sounds almost exactly like mine.  I paid in for 20 years and then when I got to 75, they changed the policy.  I couldn't prove it, but I know what I bought (a whole life policy) is not what I now have (some kind of investment thing that I always have to replenish every year).  There is never any cash value in my account, so I don't know who's doing the investing.  It's not a trust, and whoever's doing the "investing" is obviously making sure there's never going to be any money in my account, just as you said, they tell me it's more expensive to "manage the account" for someone over 75. 

Will your mom's beneficiaries still get the payout when she passes?

Now that change in mine might have been in print a thousand pages into the 6 font manual they may have presented to me (which I cannot find) but it's not what I wanted, and thought I received.  A simple whole life insurance policy, that has gone from a monthy premium of $160 (high enough) to now $500 a month, and that will not mean I won't have to "replenish" it again next year. 

It was a scam, there was a class action litigation and I was supposed to be notified because my policy was one of the ones that was illegal, but I was never notified, so I was never a party to the suit, and never got the benefit of the settlement, which was in 1998.

I will call them Monday and have to allow them to debit my bank account in the amount of $1440+ just to keep my policy in force.

A poster here @CalminHeart recommended two organizations to write to and I have written to one that I hope can help me. 

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Zhills

You asked for an update.  I have another UTI and my PCP told me there is only one antibiotic that will treat this kind of infection . . . and my insurance company doesn't cover it and it's very expensive.  I can't afford it and never heard of it.  She referred me to a urologist.

I made an appointment with the urologist (end of June).  In the meantime I will use AZO and drink lots of water . . . sometimes that will work.

I also spilled almost half a box of Kix cereal all over the kitchen this morning.  I swept up as much of it as I could into a pile.  I tried to sweep it into the dustpan, but I spilled it again when I tried to empty it into the trash.  Then I tried putting some wet paper towels over a second pile to see if I could pick it up that way.  I just couldn't bend over far enough.  I managed to get some into the trash, but wound up sweeping the rest into a third pile.  I left a note on the table that I tried to clean it all up and was sorry.  My daughter will be ****** when she gets home and sees it's still there, but I just cannot get that far down to the floor and get back up.

It's much better when I spill liquid, because then I just take a couple of towels and "walk" around the spill and it absorbs into the towels, which I can then throw into the washer. 

I get so mad at myself because I cannot grasp and hold things anymore.  I'm always spilling and dropping things (and when I break a cup or a glass . . . oh, never mind!!)

Aren't you glad you asked?  LOL

See if you can find a dust pan that has a handle. No bending over needed. They are very nice to have when you can't bend over.

@ccassaday

Thank doobdoo for finding you for me, right in the same thread I was posting in this morning. 

See my thread in CC that my daughter bought exactly what you recommended and I can now pick up most of the messes I make without bending over!  So thank YOU for that suggestion!!

Formerly Ford1224
Esteemed Contributor

SADLY I guess you are stuck.  Seems the Govt should have stepped in and seen it for what it was.  No such luck.  Wondering if you could make one more try for the paperwork. 

A friend had a situation with another kind of insurance. He and his wife are suffering from some form of dementia.  They had long term health care insurance for years.   And they forgot to pay the premium one year and it was cancelled.  No secondary reminder to the children or a guardian.  Son went to the State of Virginia and had some provision passed that said each insurance policy had to have someone secondary to be notified in case the owner was not able to pay for whatever reasons.  However too late for my friends. 

Honored Contributor

I listed 2 regulators in another post that you could contact but forgot to add your own state's insurance dept.  I would send them a copy of anything you send to the others too.