Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@LilacTree, when we first "met" here, I think I scolded you for saying you'd only live another five years and yet here you areSmiley Happy

I don't have any good answers for you.  I'd canvas your daughters to see how much more money they want to sink into this for the payout.  Hopefully, all four would agree.

I worry about my sons' future, too, with SS, etc.

@tansy

LOL, Tansy.  I still feel as though I will not be here long and that is because I have so much wrong with me.  If I live ten more years and my hands still work and you're still here . . . you can scold me again!!

I've marked the date on my calendar, @LilacTree😊

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@LilacTree, when we first "met" here, I think I scolded you for saying you'd only live another five years and yet here you areSmiley Happy

I don't have any good answers for you.  I'd canvas your daughters to see how much more money they want to sink into this for the payout.  Hopefully, all four would agree.

@tansy

I pay all the premiums, my children do not.  Since I turned 75 and this new policy kicked in (that's four years) is the only time in the last 20+ years I have asked them for anything regarding this policy.  And that is because I do not have that extra money every year.  I ask them if they want me to let it go or not and they say no.  Divided between the four of them it is only a few hundred each.  If I could pay it all by myself I would do it in a heartbeat.  It kills me to have to ask them. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@tansy

LOL, Tansy.  I still feel as though I will not be here long and that is because I have so much wrong with me.  If I live ten more years and my hands still work and you're still here . . . you can scold me again!!

I've marked the date on my calendar, @LilacTree😊

@tansy

You're so cute Tansy.  You always manage to lift my spirits!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Glad your spirits are lifted!  We all need that!

Haven't seen you post about how you are doing lately.  I pray for you and hope you are doing better.  Let us know.

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Glad your spirits are lifted!  We all need that!

Haven't seen you post about how you are doing lately.  I pray for you and hope you are doing better.  Let us know.

@Zhills

I had to get more labs today.  I will write in Wellness tomorrow.

Image result for peanuts charactersThank you for thinking of me, Zhills. 

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree  We have a similar Prudential policy as @Mominohio...we held onto our policy for a while and per the advice of our financial advisor we no longer pay on the policy.  We ALMOST threw away the shares certificate not knowing at the time what it was!!    You might want to look thru your important papers to see if you have that certificate.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

I have found the class action litigation.  Shown below is only the caption and the portion of the litigation which refers to what was done to me.

It is extremely long, so I did not want to post the whole thing and I'm sure you would not want to read it.  I will bring this with me when I see the agent, although the case is closed and I have no claim.

Nationwide ultimately bought out Prudential a few years later.  They are my present insurers.

United States Court of Appeals,Third Circuit.

97-5217.97-5155/5156/5312. In re PRUDENTIAL INSURANCE COMPANY AMERICA SALES PRACTICE LITIGATION AGENT ACTIONS. Richard Johnson, Intervenor-Plaintiff in District Court, Richard E. Johnson, Appellant at No.95-6062 v. PRUDENTIAL INSURANCE COMPANY OF AMERICA, Richard P. Krell, as well as Objectors Elizabeth Bajek, Amanda Bajek, Helen Bartsch, Mark Ciconte, Raymond Dolce, Margaret Dolice, Louise Duggan, Peter Duggan, Charles Duncan, Mary Howe, Mary Krell, William Morris, Diana Racer, Thomas Racer, Gweneth Reidel, The Estate of Carl J. Scalzo, Marie Scalzo, Terry Sligar, Alice Smith, Jerry Smith, and William Walton, Appellants at Nos.IN RE: PRUDENTIAL INSURANCE COMPANY AMERICA SALES PRACTICE LITIGATION AGENT ACTIONS. Richard P. KRELL, MDL transfer, N.D. Ohio, DNJ Civil Action No.

97-5155, 97-5156, 97-5217 and 97-5312.Nos.

Decided: July 23, 1998

Those electing Basic Claim Relief would be eligible for preferred-rate loans or the opportunity to purchase discounted policies. Id. at 19.   The remediation plan addressed four categories of claims:  financed or replacement sales;  sales involving abbreviated payment plans; life insurance sold as an investment;  and other claims “falling outside of the first three categories.”   Those electing the ADR process could submit their claim for evaluation.  As part of the Task Force Plan, Prudential agreed to conduct an extensive outreach program, including individual notice to all persons who purchased a policy between 1982 and December 31, 1995.

@LilacTree

Without divulging too much personal information, we had a policy like this throught this company. They offered shares of stock as part of the settlement issue, and we got a lot of stock from that, which we kept for a long time, but sold for some updating on our home.

You may have stock in your name that you don't know about from the litigation on this policy.

We still have those policies, and they still are intact, so I'm guessing now more than ever, you need to get with a reputable agent and see if you really understand all you have and should have coming to you. 

And don't beat yourself up about being stupid. You are and were not, you were trying to invest for the future of your family. That is not only smart, but loving. Sometimes, no matter how hard we try to understand things and make good choices, things go wrong and are beyond our control.

@Mominohio

We were poor growing up.  My father was a bus mechanic and worked nights.  That's the only reason he wasn't drafted into the military for WW II.  It was considered a necessary civilian job. 

My beloved mother died at 49.  There was no money.  Six years after her death he married again and moved to Florida, where he stayed for twenty years.  We hardly ever saw him, we were never invited down, he completely forgot about us.  He didn't even know how many grandchildren he had, let alone their names.  We would call and all he would talk about was his Florida grandchildren.  Eventually we stopped calling.  Yet he was sent up here to die with the clothes on his back and his shaving kit.  If I've told this before, please forgive me, as it's something I can't seem to forget.

It was because of that that I want to give my children a chance after I'm gone.  Someone said $50,000 each (four of them) is not considered very much money these days.  I can't look into the future as to whether they will need it or not, or whether they won't need it at all.  But it's not nothing.

@LilacTree

I totally understand where you are coming from, trying to 'break the cycle' that so many people have to do when they don't have good parenting, and dont' want to head down that same road on which they were raised.

And I understand exactly why you turned to life insurance as one of your ways of providing a future (and it wasn't a wrong choice, just maybe the company/policy or not following it close enough through the years), but the premise was good.

My dad got sick (Lupus)at 26 (was sick before that, but not diagnosed till then) and was dead at 45. My parents were young and had two babies (I was two my brother was two months old when he was diagnosed) and they were 'poor'. He had no life insurance, and after the diagnosis, couldn't get any. When he died, my mom was left to finish raising us, and no money but what she earned working at a grocery store. My dad worked as many years as he could, but the disease took over and he could no longer work.

It was really scary for her, with kids still home (we were teens) and a house to finish paying for. I was determined I never wanted to be left in that position, or to leave someone in that position. I bought life insurance the minute I turned 18, and another policy before I was 21. I still have those, and they aren't nearly as much money as it sounded like in 1979, but it is still something. And I won't be married to anyone without life insurance, so when I met my husband (he was 21 at the time) we bought a couple of whole life policies on him too.

I even bought quite a big policy on my son when he was a baby. So very cheap to do at that age, and I never wanted something to happen to him, and him not have been mature enough to do this when he had a young family. So it is actually my gift to his future wife and children, that they have some peace of mind should something happen to him. 

I always considered our life insurance premiums to be a top priority bill. We aren't insurance poor because of them, because we bought them very young,the premiums are very low, and they are now worth well above the face value.

After experiencing what you and I did, losing parents at a young age, and knowing there was no money to help afterward, it just was something I was not going to be talked out of or put off till later.

I know many people don't believe in life insurance. And I don't recommend buying so much that it 'hurts' the wallet, but it is something that has always given me some peace of mind, and just one of the many tools I have tried to use to make a more secure future. I know that is what you were doing, and it was a good thing at the time. But since your kids are doing so well, they can either take this over or let it drop. You did the right thing when it needed to be done. Life changes, and what you needed then, may not be what you (or they!) need now. 

Best thoughts for you as you sort it out.

Trusted Contributor

@LilacTreeI believe that I would just start saving that money and drop that policy. That is a lot of money to keep paying. I would like others said, talk to your children and see what they want to do but I think you would be ahead to put that money somewhere else.

Honored Contributor

It is so wrong to sell if life insurance as an investment. There are 2 federal regulators who need to be involved if not already.  They both might be able to help you. But do it quick since there is a class action lawsuit.

• Securities and Exchange Commission at SEC.gov, click on the "about" tab and then click on complaints.
  • FINRA.org, click on Have a Problem and then File a Complaint.
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree

years ago a "friend" of mine was selling "whole life insurance" back then I remember I was paying $77/month - oh I wish I could remember the name - anyway several of us at work fell for this golden years OR death policy.  It was worthless after 5 years of paying it was "mostly" my $$$ and guess what "any interest I earned was eaten up by administrative costs". I (we) all cancelled & just sucked it up to bad investment.

Both my parents passed (in my younger years) guess what we traveled the world, had the best of everything & more....when they

died we had just enough $ for funeral expenses. No big deal we appreciated all they did for us while they were alive (financially).

As a mother & grandmother - my feelings are when my kids /granddaughter want something we provide it (w/in reason) to see them enjoy it. For instance, GD swimming lessons, school field trips, sports.  Take family vacations every year.

Yes, we both have term policies purchased upon retirement (low amount to cover unknown expenses).

I never understand why as parents we need to leave our children a "bundle" (inheritance) they've had a good life, education (at our expense), and now have good jobs. That's the way it's I think supposed to be!

Worry about you and your financial situation while you're  alive cuz when we're gone they can savor in the good life & memories of us! And frankly, memories are better than your $$$ IMO

PS: I am enjoying my life & spending their inheritance on me!