Valued Contributor

If you don't have anyone who is dependent on your income anymore (e.g. children are adults finished w/their education), then you don't need life insurance.  Get the cash surrender value and invest it in a mutual fund.

Insurance is NOT an investment, it is a risk reducing tool.

Honored Contributor

@Lynnster67 wrote:

If you don't have anyone who is dependent on your income anymore (e.g. children are adults finished w/their education), then you don't need life insurance.  Get the cash surrender value and invest it in a mutual fund.

Insurance is NOT an investment, it is a risk reducing tool.

@Lynnster67

There is no cash value.  There is nothing to invest.  I'm waiting to hear from FINRA and if they can't help me, I'm done with it.  I don't have the strength to fight anything anymore.  I feel as though I could fall off this chair onto the floor and no one would care.  They probably wouldn't even find me for days.  And I do still support my Lyme daughter, she cannot work.  The sooner the better that they all get the benefits of this insurance.

I'm sorry, my depression is very high today.  Maybe I'll feel better tomorrow.

Thank you for your interest.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

HAve I read correctly that you cannot find the actual physical copy of this life insurance policy??   THis would be my biggest concern.  HOw do you know what the policy  terms and conditions are if you can't find it to read???  ALso I know that when my DH died and I filed for his life insurance I was required to send the physical copy of the policy into the insurance company with the claim form.  I don't know what would have happened if I had said I didn't have it to send.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

HAve I read correctly that you cannot find the actual physical copy of this life insurance policy??   THis would be my biggest concern.  HOw do you know what the policy  terms and conditions are if you can't find it to read???  ALso I know that when my DH died and I filed for his life insurance I was required to send the physical copy of the policy into the insurance company with the claim form.  I don't know what would have happened if I had said I didn't have it to send.

They would send a "lost policy release"  to be signed and probably notarized.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I worked for a super large insurance/securities company for almost 40 years.  Not having your policy would not prevent you from receiving the proceeds.  You just need the claim forms, which can be obtained by calling the company.

Occasional Contributor

I am not an expert on this topic .. Insurance always give me headaches 

Esteemed Contributor

CARMIE, I agree with you one hundred percent.  When Lindsay was born I took out an insurance policy (which her dead beat father should have done) so that if anything happened to her father my daughter would collect a nice sum of money.  She is still a minor and I am still paying it but the cost is only $54.64/mo and has  never increased since its inception.  This policy is so that when her father dies my daughter will receive the money which will help her continue to support Lindsay, as long as she is a minor.

My daughter will not receive an inheritance

@Carmie wrote:

My DH had one of these tern insurance policies that went up when he was 50.  Term policies are not lifetime policies, they are usually good for about 10-20 years, then they have to be renewed with new terms.

Because my children were not little any more, the insurance was not needed, so we cancelled it.

life insurance is not needed when you have adult children. It is needed if the children are young as a way to take care of them.  There is no reason to leave adults money,  As long as your final expenses can be paid, you will be okay without it.

from me, she got it while I am living.   She is an adult and I am not concerned with leaving her a large sum of money.  Adult children should not think their parents are obligated to leave them large sums of money.

@Carmie wrote:

My DH had one of these tern insurance policies that went up when he was 50.  Term policies are not lifetime policies, they are usually good for about 10-20 years, then they have to be renewed with new terms.

Because my children were not little any more, the insurance was not needed, so we cancelled it.

life insurance is not needed when you have adult children. It is needed if the children are young as a way to take care of them.  There is no reason to leave adults money,  As long as your final expenses can be paid, you will be okay without it.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Oh Lilac Tree I am sorry you are going though this , what a headache.  Insurance policies can be so complicated. When Lindsay was born a friend recommended an agent who came to my house and all I told him was that I want to have a policy with my daughter as beneficiary should anything happen to my then son-in-law.  He drew up the papers, I signed and that was the end of that.  I have been paying $54.64 since April of 2012, no increases, and recently was told by the company that should I drop the policy I will receive a check in the amount of $4,761.00.  As long as she is a minor I will continue to pay the premium.   I hope you get this settled soon to avoid more stress...hugs. Heart

@LilacTree wrote:

@Mominohio

I did this calculation when I received the first lapse notice.  The value of the policy is $200,000, $50,000 for each of them.  The original monthly premium payment was already high ($160 per month).  It has tripled since then, and since turning 75, I have had to pay this extra money every year to "replenish" the account value.  I will have to pay at least $500 per month if I want to try to avoid this shortfall again next year.

And you're right.  The way things are going, they may not ever have to follow through with paying out on policies anyway, since they already control this country.

As far as my funeral expenses, whatever it costs to cremate me will be the only expense.  The family may want to get together for some kind of gathering, but that would most likely be at someone's house.  They already know I want nothing more.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Or the kind they use in beauty salons.  Easy to use when sweeping a floor.

@ccassaday wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Zhills

You asked for an update.  I have another UTI and my PCP told me there is only one antibiotic that will treat this kind of infection . . . and my insurance company doesn't cover it and it's very expensive.  I can't afford it and never heard of it.  She referred me to a urologist.

I made an appointment with the urologist (end of June).  In the meantime I will use AZO and drink lots of water . . . sometimes that will work.

I also spilled almost half a box of Kix cereal all over the kitchen this morning.  I swept up as much of it as I could into a pile.  I tried to sweep it into the dustpan, but I spilled it again when I tried to empty it into the trash.  Then I tried putting some wet paper towels over a second pile to see if I could pick it up that way.  I just couldn't bend over far enough.  I managed to get some into the trash, but wound up sweeping the rest into a third pile.  I left a note on the table that I tried to clean it all up and was sorry.  My daughter will be ****** when she gets home and sees it's still there, but I just cannot get that far down to the floor and get back up.

It's much better when I spill liquid, because then I just take a couple of towels and "walk" around the spill and it absorbs into the towels, which I can then throw into the washer. 

I get so mad at myself because I cannot grasp and hold things anymore.  I'm always spilling and dropping things (and when I break a cup or a glass . . . oh, never mind!!)

Aren't you glad you asked?  LOL

See if you can find a dust pan that has a handle. No bending over needed. They are very nice to have when you can't bend over.

Esteemed Contributor

Lilac Tree, No more talk about dying.  My whole body hurts, my back from three failed surgeries, sciatic pain down the back of my right leg, broke my right hip in 2015 still lots of pain and on top of all that I have arthritis on my knees that recently started to flare up and the pain is awful.  But you know what, I am still alive and so are you.

I look at that beautiful face of yours and see someone who is vibrant.  Yes, you have limits as to what you can do, me too and I hate it.  Sure there are days I think if I didn't wake up in the morning

@LilacTree wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

Has anyone noticed that the old people who talk about dying all the time are the ones who linger?  I always wonder why.  Maybe they are the ones who take care of their health?  Not a criticism, just an observation.

My son's MIL was on her "deathbed" for 15 years.  I was glad I acted like it was for real when she eventually did die.

@KarenQVC

I know, I talk about it all the time because I think about it all the time.  Maybe if I wasn't so physically limited, I wouldn't because, as so many people say, "I don't look sick."

I've been like this since my beloved sister died six years ago this coming August.  I can't believe how fast that time has gone.

I'll try to talk about it less, but I'll probably fail.  Just pass on by my posts, they must be irritating.  Comes down to I have nowhere else or no one else to discuss these things with.

Sorry. 

it would be a blessing, no more pain but as long as I am alive I have to live life as best I can and so do you.  Do the things that make you happy whatever it is.  I know it isn't easy but we have a choice, wallow in self pity or live as best we can.  There are a lot of people on these boards who care about you and we don't want you thinking of dying, we want to argue with you as long as we can.  So, okay?  No more talk about dying?  And again, to me you are Lilac1224.  HeartHeart