Honored Contributor

Re: KUDOS TO MOMS/DADS STAYING HOME

Seriously? 

Isn't it that part of what parenting is all about?

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Seriously? 

Isn't it that part of what parenting is all about?

@CelticCrafter   You're right, but trying to keep your cool and not freak the kids out, keep the younger ones away from the news...That's not the usual parenting role. These are unusual times and parents (& families) are pressured to keep it together in ways they haven't been asked to do before. 

Trusted Contributor

Being at home with 4 kids while still trying to work everyday is not easy.  Personally I turned off all news programs last Monday.  My 15 year old asked me why I wasn't as freaked out as the rest of his friends parents.  I told him I can't live in fear, we have to live our lives the best we can.  While the kids haven't gone anywhere  since March 12, they at least do talk to their friends everyday.  I have had to talk about the virus and action plans for work since Janaury so by March I was over talking about it and desensitized a bit.

Honored Contributor

My Kinder grand's school staff did a parade on Monday...the entire staff drove through the neighborhood and passed by each student's home or apartment with balloon decorated cars...the kids of course remained in their yards and maintained social distancing....DD cried as they drove by and little grand was thrilled to see her teacher who shouted out her name and told her she missed her.  Kinder parents are putting one or two sight words in their front windows;  kids get to walk outside with a parent and see how many they can find while also getting some wiggles worked through their system. Teachers are posting assignments on a platform and also are having " office hours"twice a day for parents to call with questions.  yesterday, they went on a bear hunt, based on the book. everyone put a teddybear in their livingroom window...and the kinders wentbto see how many they could find.

I hope all neighborhoods are affording their schoolchildren fun learning opportunities while schools are closed indefinitely.