Respected Contributor

Join Us for Grandma to Grandma talk 2019

Great suggestions received on starting a conversation for grannies about our beloved grandbabies from  0 to whatever age you want to discuss. The other day I posted about my 3 y.o grandson (Mr. Busy) spending the night with me (not the first time) and you can tell by the knickname I gave him that he doesn't stop going all day. If I could bottle his energy I could make a fortune and of course I would share it with his parents. While at the grocery store the other day, we walked past a gentleman and Mr. Busy looks at the guy and says "how you doin ?"  The guy looks at him and me in surprise and says "I'm fine man, how you doin? " This is a 3 year old  !  His vocabulary is amazing for 3 and he is the only child so I don't know where he got that at because his mom and dad are home bodies.  Tell us about your grandbabies! Don't you just love being a grandma OR grandad ? I only have 2 grandsons, 3 and 19 yrs old, love them so much.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Join Us for Grandma to Grandma talk 2019

I love the idea of this topic. My son is an adult now and so is our grandson. We call them all our kids (which includes our daughter in law) .I was a divorced, single mother so I missed a lot of events in my son's life. I was always working. I was able to see some of those with our grandson. (My company has phased out my job when I turned 50 so I was home and available for grandma duty).I have to admit that my energy level to play Ninja fighter at 50 was somewhat limited. LOL    

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  Glad to see that you started the thread.

I will check in here now and then just to read your stories as they are

so cute and enjoyable.

How you doin'? Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes   Glad you started this.  Your Mr. Busy is busy exploring, learning and enjoying life.  

I have three grandsons, oldest will be six in early October, next one will be four in early October, and the youngest turned two in late April.

My oldest Mr. Busy has quite the imagination and he is quite the "organizer" for himself and the younger two.  He lines up chairs from the dining area and makes train seats and yells out "tickets" and does the imaginary "click" of punching them as he collects them.

Last Sunday he decided to make a jet pack and tape it around his waist along with a covered tub of snacks and a pouch with family pictures so that if he was away for a long time on his journey he would be okay.

So far, all three of them get along well and seldom fight but it does happen.  The mom and dad's method is to try to let them sort it out themselves.  If that doesn't work Mom or Dad will intervene and the fought over toy disappears for a while.

The most important thing I know is to not interfere or offer an opinion unless my daughter or son-in-law ask for it.

Being a grandparent is much more fun than being a single, divorced mom and raising a daughter and son on my own was!

When I am with all three boys it can be a bit exhausting--I'm not a "spring chicken" any more but my brain works quickly and these three do usually listen well.

The best thing about having grandchildren is that they give you a new perspective and you can again see things through a child's eyes.  Keeps me feeling optimistic, creative, and purposeful.

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435, I love your post about your little ones.  It is obvious that being a grandma is such a pleasure to you.  You are right, it does give one a different perspective on life.  I can bet these little guys can keep you busy!  It’s a good incentive for grandparents to keep in shape.  You are smart not to interfere with parental issues.  I keep my feelings to myself and don’t comment unless I am asked.  I think the hardest part  for me is seeing how fast they grow up.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always tell people I was born to be a Grandma.  I so love having my granddaughter spend the nights with me.  We have such a great time, being almost five years old she tells it like it is.  Like telling me a few months back my hairbrushes were just embarrassing.  I needed new ones.  My grandson born in April 2018 has not spent any nights yet but I do give my son and dil date nights and days alone.  This Saturday will be one so they can have some private time on my son's birthday.  My grandson never/ever stops moving and I indulge in extra ice cream on the nights I have played all day then cleaned up my home.  He is a great workout for burning up the calories. Still I will be happy when no more diapers are a part of our lives. Great thread @Goodie2shoes 

My philosophy is play now and just do all the cleaning of the "tornados" later.  My grandmother did the same for me and she is my inspiration. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

When I saw the word "Grandma" in the title of this thread, I just had to take a peek! 

I will be a first time grandma in September...I am over the moon excited!!!  I've been waiting for this stage in my life and am impatiently awaiting the arrivial of my little grandson at the end of September.  I have always heard being a grandma is so much MORE  fun than being a mom (not that I would trade being a mom for anything) but I get that it is a whole different ballgame!   I cannot wait for this new role in life and I hope to experience what some of you have written about! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lOVETOSHOP   Oh, best wishes.  I'm sure you are getting "antsy" waiting for the little one.

It definitely is a whole new ballgame being a grandparent.  A world of discovery awaits you--from enjoying holding the newborn for the first time, inhaling the newborn scent again, which will flood you with memories when your grown child or children were new.  

Then watching the evolution: finger grasps, eye tracking, baby playing with blanket fluff, hand eye coordination, first smiles, startle reflex, cooing, babbling, finger food, crawling, "tiptoe" walking, first real steps, first words rapidly becoming two words, then a series of words that baby strings together more precious than pearls . . .

The world will seem new, and sweet, and fresh again, like grass restored to a glorious green in spring.  You will be seeing through the grandbaby's perspective.

Each stage has its own moments and rewards and you will have time to enjoy it so much more this time around.  Welcome to a very special time in life.

With warm regards,

aroc3435

Trusted Contributor

@aroc3435 - Thank you!  Everything you wrote about is exactly what I look so forward to enjoying!

Honored Contributor

I love my grands.  I got to spend a weekend with them recently and we read, played, ran around, and talked the whole time.  The twins (boy and girl) will be 3 in 3 weeks.  The baby is 14 months.  

I don't get to see them very often since they live so far away.  But we facetime and I get to 'play' with them that way.