Respected Contributor

Ideas for starting a tradition from Granmother to Granddaughter...?

[ Edited ]

My first grandchild, a girl, was born on November 20. Although she will only be 1 month and 5 days old, this is officially her first Christmas! I'd like to start a tradition with her beginning with next Christmas. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for making and giving grandchildren something simple which can become a tradition and be passed down through the years. I'd love that she'd look forward to a little something special from me from year to year that would bring her fond memories long after I'm gone. I'm not a crafter or seamstress but would be willing to try simple projects. TIA and Merry Christmas!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

Re: Ideas for starting a tradition from Granmother to Granddaughter...?

I started a Hallmark Christmas ornament tradition with my only nephew on his first Christmas at four months old.  He is now in his late 20's, and still looks forward to getting his dated ornament.  By now he has a beautiful collection, of which he is very proud.   Make sure there is always a Christmas picture made of just the two of you.     

Contributor

I think a lovely gift would be a Christmas ornament every year.  When she's old enough to move into her own place, her tree would be decorated with ornaments from you. You could pick a color or theme or just make them totally different each year.

Respected Contributor

Pearls. One for every special occassion for her wedding day. She'll have a beautiful necklace from grandma.

Respected Contributor

I, also, give each of my grandchildren an ornament every Christmas!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

I've gotten her first Christmas ornament from Hallmark and from Lenox. I will definitely get one for her each year as I also did this for each of my sons(her dad). I was hopeing

to find a little something I could make to give her. I like the idea of the pearls too 

but would rather give her mine as I doubt I'll be around for her wedding, sad to say.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

My first grandchild was born in August 2014 so she was not very old last year and I am so excited for this year.

Last year I found still in its box with tags the 1982 Tenderheart Carebear which was my son's (her Dad) first Teddy Bear.  I bought it for him while I was pregnant with him.   Anyway I found one in California and I am in Texas, but it is a collector's item and should continue.  My son framed a photo of him as a baby on the floor playing with his it is kept next to my grandaughter's in its box in her room.  She will never be allowed to open or play with it if she wants to continue the collection of items.

For this year I bought her on eBay the Christmas 2001 "Gwen Marie" Boyd's Bear since her name is Gwen Michelle.   It was only out for Christmas that year then retired for good and Boyd's has stopped making plush teddy bears. 

Not sure what I will do next year.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher

I have started the tradition of giving our granddaughter a little embroidered hankie every time we see her... she lives in another state.

My dad's mother was from England.  I started connecting her "visits" with a hankie she would give me out of her suitcase!  I have saved the hankies my whole life!

I would have added in an ornament, but their Christmas plans were not real clear to me for two years (she will be 2 pretty soon!)

Our little boy grandson is 6 months... we need to start a tradition for him, too... maybe a hot wheels, etc!

It is so much fun having grandkids that this has eclipsed everything else for me!!!

Merry Christmas and enjoy!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

Would love to have done something like this but dear dil just doesn't seem to connect with these traditions.  I passed down a jewelrey set I remember having worn and have professional pics of me wearing this set.  It has been five years and I've never seen gd wear it.  At first it was she won't leave it on but at this age I'm sure she would.  I just hope she hasn't gotten rid of it.  I guess a gift is a gift. 

This year thoughI had the pleasure of gd helping me decorate my tree which are special ornaments collected over the past 43 years.  She oohd and aahd as each was unwrapped and as she placed them on the tree.  We then unwrapped and set out the nativity that belonged to my in laws and was custom made for them over 50 years ago.  It was a wonderful evening for her and I.  I will save these to pass to her when she is older. 

Honored Contributor

@kitty60

I know what you mean, but here are my thoughts... dil (if she is like my daughter) has "so much stuff" and chaos in her life with all of the career and kids obligations.  "Stuff" she says will just get lost as she tries to keep up with it and during career moves, etc.

To help her keep her sanity, we have offered to purchase for gifts for the children, the things that she says they really need -- we just go on her recommendations.

I feel like traditions with our grandchildren we will establish directly with each of them... so I am going to wait until the kids are older to start.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~