Contributor

Re: I'm new at this grandma business so can you help me out?

I wouln't dream of trying to contact her pediatrician, even if I could. That was all I meant..

Honored Contributor

It's probably quite normal, especially now-a-days with all of the toys and distractions surrounding a child.

Way back when, when I was a child, most/many of us had one or two or three items at a time to focus on.

Tons of toys weren't spread all over the room, here and there and everywhere.

I'm only guessing that adults might want to wander off to 'this and that' new thing when place in a room filled with interesting items.

The best of luck to your sweet grandchild. Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

It's very normal for a 3-year old to have a short attention span. Just when you think you have the perfect book to read to her, she'll jump down and play with something else! Just when you think you have the perfect toy, she'll tire of it and walk away to something else! No wonder there are little toys everywhere! Her brain is like a little sponge right now - just enjoy your time with her and have fun watching her grow and learn!

Contributor

What a great description of this phase of childhood! Thank so much. Oh and she's very nuturing too (she gets that from her mother); the other day I tripped and fell down over an irrigation hose in my back yard so I went to lay down for a few minutes till I could pull myself together. She ran into the bedroom with me and said," I'll get a blanket and we'll get cozy!"

This is what makes my heart melt at the very sight of her. <3

Honored Contributor

@SweetieSugarPlum@I think she is normal...imagine how you feel at a fabulous buffet or a svrumptious dessert table....how to stay focused and on task when there is so much stimulus.

Respected Contributor

@SweetieSugarPlum wrote:

What a great description of this phase of childhood! Thank so much. Oh and she's very nuturing too (she gets that from her mother); the other day I tripped and fell down over an irrigation hose in my back yard so I went to lay down for a few minutes till I could pull myself together. She ran into the bedroom with me and said," I'll get a blanket and we'll get cozy!"

This is what makes my heart melt at the very sight of her. <3

That's so sweet & loving!!

Esteemed Contributor

@SweetieSugarPlum, At age 3, her attention span will be short as she tries to take in as much as possible.  She is normal, so just enjoy her.  She actually sounds like me--I have a very short attention span.  I must be getting younger!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Regular Contributor

I'm a retired early childhood educator. Your granddaughter is quite normal. In addition, as a grandmother, I find that biting my tongue is a good thing. If you feel something, it's good not to say anything to the parents. Just be there for your granddaughter, and love her unconditonally. 

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY@jannabelle1, @Whatnow,

So many wonderful descriptions of what is going on at this age.

Im so glad you asked @SweetieSugarPlum!

Its encouraging and fun to read all these (as I'm looking at all the toys spread all overWoman LOLHeart)

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"