Contributor

Re: I'm a grandmother and I have an ugly secret

My granddaughter is an awesome catcher!  Watching her and the other girls play and enjoy each other is so much fun.  I also enjoy the camaraderie of the other grandparents and parents.  I haven't experienced any disrespect of coaches or refs but I'm sure it happens.  

Respected Contributor

Well of course they are boring! Unless of course YOUR grandkid/ kid is the Star player, ( how often does that happen? Never to me).  Many of us are right there with ya ( kids and grandkids)- Just cheer and hope it ends soon... 🤣🤣👏🏼😩😳

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I enjoy my grandkids' swim meets. I enjoy seeing the strength and swimming skill they exhibit. I enjoy seeing their attitude towards winning and losing. I enjoy seeing them interact with the other team members when they're not swimming. They do a bbq so you can eat and sit in the shade or walk around a bit. Also get to see their parents. 

To the original poster, don't feel guilty AT ALL. Certain situations I wouldn't enjoy either, like sitting in the blazing sun watching baseball. 

Respected Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 @Little League baseball is like watching paint dry.......sorry.

Honored Contributor

I feel your pain.  When our grandaugter was in sports, we went to her games but never enjoyed them, track was the worst.

We didn't even own lawn chairs until she started sports!

Respected Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 wrote:

Even though I go them and cheer for my granddaughter, I find little kids' sports teams boring. I go anyway because I want to see my granddaughter play and the other kids are cute too, but watching the actual game: boring.

When my son, her father, played football, I went to those games too and cheered them on but secretly, I was bored and glad when the season was over.

Till at least the end of this month I'll grit my teeth and paste a smile on face. Youi do what you do for your chldren's (or gandchildren's) sake.

Do not consider this an ugly secret!!  I do not enjoy sports either!!  I dreaded going to my own childrens' games!  The only one I ever enjoyed was watching my daughter play volleyball.  But there are some things you have to do so we do them!

Valued Contributor

I love that you show up OP, that is the thing that matters most, To this day, I remember the few times one grandfather was able to attend my soccer and softball games, when we played their local town. We lived an hour and half apart and even though he was a football, basketball, and baseball guy in his youth and beyond, he loved coming to my games, He learned a lot about soccer and loved to give tips on my batting and throwing (and maybe coach a little from the stands). We bonded over something different.  His girls grew up in the time that most girls did not play or have the oppurtunity to play sports, including his own.

And this same very athletic outdoorsy man came to my dance recitals every single year for 12 years, from the painful 4-5 yo recitals😉 all the way through my progression to pointe, etc.  I love that about him, it was definitely not his thing but he came!

Honored Contributor

Just say, "I'm a universal cheerleader" and let it go.