Respected Contributor

Re: I'm a grandmother and I have an ugly secret

@PuppyLoverBob666 You are in a pickle.  First, the snippy DIL and then the sports.  Could you develop a different kind of interest with GD and spend time with her around that?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm so glad my daughter had no interest in sports and even though he's brand new, I'm secretly hoping my grandson won't either.

Valued Contributor

As it turns out, most of their season got rained out, so I'm glad I did go to at least one game or I would have missed out completely seeing her play.

Honored Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 wrote:

As it turns out, most of their season got rained out, so I'm glad I did go to at least one game or I would have missed out completely seeing her play.

One game of kids' soccer per season is enough for me too.  Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

I’m glad I never felt like that!! We love going to all family games, graduation and even now the grandkids are graduating college! I feel a lost of all those great moments!
Honored Contributor

My crowd in late junior high and high school didn't care who was watching as long as our crowd was having fun.  Times sure have changed, it just wasn't that big of a deal when and where I went to school.  I don't know of any grandparents who went to every game.

Esteemed Contributor

I never played in little league sports. The Projects kids didn't fit in,  moreso if there were costs involved. We got our own kids together/made makeshift hockey sticks from excess lumber given as from a nearby furniture store that built their own.

Put on our warm clothes and walk the 18 blocks to the lagoon. Those that had ice skates skated, those that didn't fell more. Only people watching were whoever brought kids or were walking by.

I know quite a bit about parents from my 30+ years as a hockey referee. It was especially bad because all games were inside a building, not outside bleachers or grandstands. One of the 2 only rinks in town, had fence around the rink, not plexiglass as the other did.

Wasn't hard to hear whatever parents decided to belt out, moreso at the younger kids leagues. Got so bad I quit doing the 8 and under kids leagues at that rink. Not so much for me, but for the little kids.

You got parents hollering at the little ones,  "do this, do that". The coach tells them how to play and what and where to be. He is hollering from the bench to help the kids, the parents that know absolutely " do do" about hockey, how it's played or the rules.

Many parents would take turns driving kids to the rinks. At lot of this was at 5-6am games on the weekends. Kids crying/parents yelling, wasn't enjoying what I enjoy doing in those games.

Many other rinks in big hockey cities, would not let parents into the ice surface itself. They had lobbies or bleachers where they were separated from the kids by tall plexiglass.

There were parents that played hockey and they stayed and watched, mostly quiet, because they knew the game and rules(kinda). Many of the coaches, all volunteers, played themselves and spent their time coaching the kids, not the refs.

If you want to go there for the kids, I think it is a good thing. Cheer for the kids and their team, but leave out negative shouts to their opponents/parents/coaches and game officials. It is suppose to be a game, and learning experience for the young'ens. On ice, or other facilities, especially if indoors.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Interesting comments, lol.   Just wonder how many have ever ASKED whether their being there makes a difference. 

Or are you just there out of "obligation"?

I asked this because of family ... my sister was a serious athlete .... and she said she always played better when my folks weren't there.   

Food for thought. 

Respected Contributor

I would never go if I found the games boring. If my grandkid is playing in a game, it is no longer boring. Just stop going and do something you want to do. 

Valued Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@PuppyLoverBob666 wrote:

Even though I go them and cheer for my granddaughter, I find little kids' sports teams boring. I go anyway because I want to see my granddaughter play and the other kids are cute too, but watching the actual game: boring.

When my son, her father, played football, I went to those games too and cheered them on but secretly, I was bored and glad when the season was over.

Till at least the end of this month I'll grit my teeth and paste a smile on face. Youi do what you do for your chldren's (or gandchildren's) sake.

At least you show up, no fault in that. I love sports, all of them. Even watching the hockey playoffs every night, and my team lost in the first round.  I'll hate when it's over, but football will be soon.Your a good grandma, learn the rules of the game and you'll be more into it

We always watch all of the hockey playoff games each night also also. In March while on vacation we stopped in North Carolina to see our Penguins play theHurricanes.   Great fun!